USC's Beerfest is the best fest

The University Students' Council's first Beerfest, pictured here on Sept. 25, 2014, launched an annual tradition.

The University Students' Council's Beerfest is back again, and students can look forward to drinks, food and live music this Thursday on Concrete Beach.

Students will have a variety of beer vendors to choose from, including Labatt, Budweiser and Toboggan among others. Western University's campus restaurant, The Wave, will also be serving food.

Mac McIntosh, student programs officer for the USC, estimates that turnout will range from 600 to 1,000 students throughout the day based on previous years’ turnouts.

“I think that, from a student’s perspective, it’s just a very fun event," said McIntosh. "It’s very engaging in the sense that it’s an alternative to louder programming such as concerts and things like that."

For Isabelle Ng, a bachelor of management and organizational studies student on exchange from Australia, the fact that she’s not a big beer drinker won’t stop her from hanging out with her friends that day.

“Even though I don’t like beer, I’ll still be likely to go just so I can hang out with my friends,” Ng said. “It would be cool to just hear some live music like local musicians or student bands performing.”

This year, the USC is offering ticket packages, giving students more bang for their buck than last year's fest.

Students can purchase a $5 package, which includes one beer and one food ticket; a $10 package, which includes four beers and two food tickets; or a $20 package, which includes 10 beers and two food tickets.

Jaimi Silverberg, a third-year kinesiology student, finds these prices reasonable, especially since the event is a good way to get the student population together.

“I think it’s great. It gets everyone on campus together,” Silverberg said.

Tickets can be purchased online or on Concrete Beach outside the University Community Centre, with profits going to the USC's charity committee. The event is this Thursday from noon until 5 p.m.

Sabrina is pursuing her second year as a News Editor here at the Gazette. She is a fourth year International Relations student at Western University.