JHM Awards 2017
Amy O'Kruk / GAZETTE

The Gazette took home two awards for best news writing and video of the year at last night's 2017 John H. McDonald Awards Gala in Toronto. 

News editor Grace To won the award for best news writing for her article, Thieves hitting the gym: Rec Centre thefts on the rise.

+1 
Gazette JHM

Members of the current Gazette team at the Jan. 6 JHM Awards Gala. From left: Vivian Cheng, culture editor; Nicholas Sokic, culture editor; Kristen Lee, contributor; Carmen Mallia, culture editor; Rita Rahmati, managing editor of content; Amy O'Kruk, editor-in-chief; Michael Conley, photo editor; Sissi Chen, graphics editor; and Connor Malbeuf, Western TV coordinator.

Former editors Jenny Jay and Samah Ali's documentary hyphen-nation landed best video. 

The Gazette's Max Mao, Mike DeBoer and Sissi Chen were also nominated for photo of the year, sports writing and graphic/illustration of the year respectively. 

The JHM Awards annually recognize excellence in Canadian student journalism. This year's awards saw over 600 submissions and were judged by panels of professional journalists. John H. McDonald was the first president of the Canadian University Press, a national student newspaper cooperative founded in 1938.

The awards were presented as part of CUP's NASH80 student journalism conference. 

1
0
1
0
1

Editor-in-Chief

Amy is editor-in-chief of the Gazette and a Faculty of Information and Media Studies graduate. She started working at the Gazette in February 2014. Want to give her a story tip or feedback? Email editor@westerngazette.ca