Affiliate presidents are the leaders of their college. They advocate for affiliate students' interests to main campus and beyond, so if you're at an affiliate, make sure you get to know your candidates and vote. 

King's University College Students' Council

Olivia Smith-Rodrigues, KUCSC presidential candidate 

+6 
kings presidential candidate olivia_smith-rodrigues

The second candidate, Olivia Smith-Rodrigues, who said she would.

Year and program: third year, double major in social justice and peace and political science

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your affiliate? 

Although King’s students graduate with Western University degrees, during their four years, it can be difficult to compete with Western students for academic, professional and leadership opportunities in the community. Organizations are not as familiar with King’s as they are Western. My platform addresses this by further integrating King’s into the community and partnering with local organizations to create opportunities specifically for our students. Challenges related to mental health, wellness, sustainability and diversity are not necessarily affiliate-specific — but our size and community allow us to approach these challenges and to create solutions in a way that is unique to the affiliate experience.

As president, what are the three most important initiatives you hope to accomplish in your term?  

If I had to choose just three initiatives, I’d pick mental health scholarships, undergraduate research grants and community partnerships. Mental health scholarships are important in validating students' experiences with mental health. It allows us the opportunity to move beyond simply an awareness campus to one that invests in students and their experiences. Funding undergraduate research through grants is another important initiative. Providing King’s students with the opportunity to conduct research independent from their studies and have it published in the King’s Undergraduate Research Journal sets King’s students apart – especially when applying to graduate and professional programs. Connecting King’s to the London community is something I’m so passionate about. I believe embedding King’s in the wider community through partnering with organizations, creating co-op and internship opportunities and strengthening Alumni relationship and investment will elevate the status and reputation of our institution and provide countless opportunities for our students.

Hadia Fiaz, KUCSC presidential candidate 

+6 
kings presidential candidate hadia_fiaz

Hadia Fiaz, the candidate who said she would not limit free speech.

Year and program: third year, political science and minor in philosophy 

The biggest challenge that students have brought forward to me being an affiliate student is career development. Being a liberal arts student, you are constantly questioned, “What will you do with your degree?” Often times, students are ill-prepared to answer this question. That being said, it doesn’t mean that students don’t have the skills necessary to succeed. They just don’t know how to market themselves to employers. This is a challenge King’s students have identified, and I hope to work towards if elected.

The three initiatives I hope to accomplish in my term are setting the foundation for free textbooks, getting two-hour street parking to three hours and supporting students’ mental health through exam wellness stations. My platform goals are simple and student facing, aimed at building on and improving the student experience at King’s.

Huron University College Students' Council

Husam Sabaa, HUCSC presidential candidate 
+6 
huron presidential candidate husam_sabaa

Year and program: third year, political science

I think the biggest challenge we face is that we can’t give students more reasons to remain at Huron as opposed to the main campus, Kings, Brescia or Ivey. Part of this ties in to the fact that these institutions feel more refreshed, speaking in terms of infrastructure. We also don’t utilize some resources to their best advantage. For example, we proudly state that Huron is the only affiliate with its own bar — but it currently only operates on Thursdays from 2:30 to 8:30 p. m. and for events. It's not necessarily a lack of identity but an inability to identify it.

I would love to renovate the Student Activity Centre. With it, we can have an alternative eatery on campus, expand our bar’s hours and introduce more employment opportunities, and we can show the students that we can continue making tangible improvements to our school. I want to improve the dialogue for mental health by having administration seeing the conversation from our side. We’ve made some incredible strides at Huron with mental health, but we’re not quite there yet, and part of it is because of the disconnect between two generations. I want to fix that. I hope to strike a written agreement with faculty heads to be more conscious about which textbooks they assign students and hope that they choose the most affordable textbook that satisfies the course description and that they all try to build their courses around Western Libraries, resources that we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for.

Inam Teja, HUCSC presidential candidate
+6 
huron presidential candidate inam_teja

Huron President Inam Teja.

Year and program: fourth year, global studies

One of the biggest problems faced by Huron students is affordability — from cafeteria prices to textbooks, students are not getting the value they deserve. This is a problem not uniquely faced by Huron students, but it is one where Huron-specific initiatives can really solve some of the problems. Because Huron is small, we are nimble. We can pilot projects around free textbooks, and we can mobilize our students for advocacy efforts more easily.

Firstly, I want to expand the capacity of mental health resources that are available on Huron’s campus. We currently have a councellor who comes once a week. This service has long wait times and should definitely be expanded next year. Secondly, I want students to get the value that they are paying for. This means both lowering the prices of things like textbooks and cafeteria food and also increasing the utilization of services that students are paying for. Thirdly, I want to increase the transparency of council. A monthly email update, state of the Huron University College Students’ Council address; a master calendar and flexible office hours are all initiatives I have on my platform to do this!

Brescia University College Students' Council

Mikaila Hunter, BUCSC president candidate
+6 
brescia presidential candidate mikaila_hunter

Bresica President Mikaila Hunter.

Year and program: second year, food and nutrition 

I think the biggest challenge faced by students at our affiliate is getting involved and feeling engaged with Brescia and the Western community. Students feeling welcomed at the university has a huge impact on their comfort and experience during post-secondary education. It’s my hope that our council can continue to work on programs that cater to students and raise awareness and that these programs are made aware to all students.

As president, I hope I can increase council’s presence around campus and bring initiatives that give back to the students. I believe it is important that students know who represents them and are given opportunities to reach out. Secondly, I would like to focus on wellness; this includes physical, mental, financial and social capacities. The last initiative I hope to accomplish in my term is working on accessibility here at Brescia. In conjunction with current structures, I hope to create more dialogue on issues facing students related to mental health and disability.

0
0
0
1
0