Campus Photos-2.jpg

2016 has seen a high turnover in Western's higher administration with a number of senior figures either retiring or leaving the University to pursue other opportunities.

Currently, the University has been busying itself with management transitions and nationwide searches for suitable individuals to fulfill the vacant roles.

Here's a list of some prominent leaders who stepped down from their roles this year. 

Susan Grindrod

In June, Western saw the retirement of associate vice-president of housing and ancillary services Susan Grindrod after 34 years at Western. During her time at Western, she has seen the construction of the six newest residence buildings, including Alumni House. Her work has been credited as helping make Western one of “Canada’s best student experience" according to The Globe and Mail's 2013 Canadian university reports.

Gitta Kulczycki

In October, Gitta Kulczycki is set to resign from her position as vice-president of resources and operations after over 12 years. During her years at Western, she has been responsible for many initiatives, such as Western’s campus master plan and the president’s advisory committee on environment and stability. She has accepted a position as vice-president of finance and administration at the University of Alberta. Western’s resources and operations team will be reporting directly to President Chakma until a permanent successor is appointed.

Thérèse Quigley

Thérèse Quigley is retiring as the director of sports and recreation services at the end of December. After seven years in the role, she is regarded as an innovator of varsity sport, recreation programming and facility development. Western has not yet been able to find a permanent director of SRS; a national search is still ongoing for Quigley’s successor. In the meantime, Jim Weese, former dean of health sciences, will temporarily take over the leadership role.

John Carson

Also retiring at the end of December is John Carson, director of campus community police services, after over five years of service at Western. Overseeing fire safety, emergency management and foot patrol, the campus police services provide safety and security all over campus for both staff and students. Since October, Daniel Redmond has been serving as director-elect at Campus Police.

Iain Scott

Current dean of the Faculty of Law Iain Scott is intending to retire at the end of June 2017. The search to fill Scott’s position and other positions including the deans of law and arts and humanities, vice-provost international and vice-president of research is being conducted by leadership review and selection committees at Western.

Alan Weedon, former vice-provost academic planning, policy and faculty also stepped down from his role earlier in June and Karen Campbell took over from him in the position.

Although Western is seeing a turnover of staff and faculty throughout the University, director of media and community relations Keith Marnoch expressed that it is fortunate that Western has an attractive reputation as a workplace.

“As with any large, diverse organization, Western recognizes that change is a constant, including the make up of our staff and faculty,” said Marnoch in an email. “Managing positions, at all levels, is an important function for the University.”

Both new and transitional position assignments are working to make sure the University’s operations can continue smoothly. Over the past several months, the management of these transitions has been successful in this regard.

At a recent board of governors meeting, the president's report congratulated those who are leaving the University to pursue new roles and expressed best wishes to those who are retiring.

0
0
0
0
0

Grace is a news editor for volume 111 at the Gazette. She is a fourth-year neuroscience student minoring in French studies. If you want to reach Grace, email her at grace@westerngazette.ca