Huron College 'Show Your Heart' (Photo)

Huron University College's 'Show Your Heart' project, running until February 16, is fundraising for student internships, July 31, 2017.

This week, Huron University College is encouraging community members to invest in a gift that will last longer than Valentine’s Day presents: student internships.

On Feb 14, Huron launched the Show Your Heart project in support of Huron’s internship program. The campaign’s goal is to raise $8,000 for two Huron students to be placed in 16-week internships with organizations that match their career goals. Donations will be matched dollar for dollar by an anonymous Huron alumni donor.

“The average Canadian spends $164 on Valentine’s Day, and we really wanted people to donate to a cause that would be more than just a box of chocolates and flowers,” said Jon Munn, director of marketing and communications at Huron.

The campaign is part of an initiative to provide every Huron student with the opportunity to participate in a paid internship; it aims to remove financial barriers by providing all students with equal access to opportunity.

As part of this initiative, the college has created a new position this year, called the Coordinator of Careers and Internships. The position was assigned to Meg Pirie starting last summer, in efforts to provide more Huron students with valuable real-world experience that will help them navigate an increasingly competitive job market. Pirie works with students and stakeholders in London and surrounding area to set up internships for students.

“We are trying to give this opportunity to all of our students, and we will make that happen, with the commitment from donors and with the commitment from the Huron community,” Munn said. “No other liberalized university across Canada is doing something like this, and we’re really pushing towards that, so this money will help get that started.”

According to Munn, the campaign has raised a significant amount of money so far. The Show Your Heart project will run until Friday Feb.16, with the possibility of being extended. Munn encourages community members to get involved.

“It’s a great opportunity for them to see that their money can buy something that is absolutely unique and really meaningful to improving a student’s experience and to building their professional portfolio,” Munn said.

2
0
0
0
0