Jana Cernavskis

As the newly-hired USC communications officer for 2017-18, Jana Cernavskis admits that being involved with the student council was not in her initial plans when she first came to Western. Instead, the fourth-year FIMS student recalls that she had her sights set on television production.

“If I looked back on it now in hindsight, since second year, I could see this path unfolding,” said Cernavskis. “But when you’re walking the path, you don’t necessarily see it that way. So I didn’t expect all of this, but I’m happy to be here.”

In her second and third year, Cernavskis was involved with Western TV, learning how to do videography and editing. Working behind the scenes, she realized that she had a passion for video production.

The following year she landed an internship with USC promotions, which is where she got an understanding of and found the desire to get involved with the communications portfolio.

“I want to engage students,” says Cernavskis. “I know that’s something a lot of communications officers have said in the past, but it’s a big task at hand. There is a real opportunity to engage students and to get them involved with USC content.”

With a grasp on the promotions aspect of her portfolio, Cernavskis says that she will be working hard to learn about the operational backbone of the USC during her transition period.

Cernavskis’ planned initiatives and social media campaigns will be building off outgoing USC communications officer Emily Ross’s success. She applauds Ross’s hard work in making information accessible to Western students online and is looking forward to spark more student interest.

Her major goal for next year is to break down the barrier between the students and the USC executives to increase student engagement, citing the importance of transparency and accountability. She also wants to work with councillors so that students will have a better idea of how the USC council operates.

“I’m super excited to be working with the executives, with the councillors and with the students,” says Cernavskis. “I think you’re going to see a lot of great work coming out of this year’s executive team.”

Grace is a news editor for volume 111 at the Gazette. She is a fourth-year neuroscience student minoring in French studies. If you want to reach Grace, email her at grace@westerngazette.ca