#ShineTheLight is trending on Twitter this November following the launch of London Abused Women Centre’s (LAWC) seventh annual Wear Purple Campaign — a program raising awareness on violence against women.

According to the centre’s website, the colour purple exhibits "courage, survival and honour, and has come to symbolize the fight to end woman abuse." 

The campaign's growing success was acknowledged in a video message by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

“I am grateful to the London Abused Women’s Centre and to agencies like it across Canada,” Trudeau said.

“Woman abuse crosses all age boundaries and socio-economical boundaries and ethnic boundaries,” said Heather Wharram, program manager at LAWC. “We serve women from as young as the age of 12 and then we see women up to their 80s.”

Wharram said that young women are at greatest risk of suffering from abuse. This fact can be a pressing concern especially among student populations.

Wharram added that conversations within the community about violence against women are important to deter the behaviour.

“We have a great community here in London and we have that conversation regularly, but it’s to continue it and keep talking about it,” Wharram said.  

Wharram said that the community can stay involved with the LAWC by participating in any of their other listed events or applying to their volunteering program.

“We have had great success in leadership in this community, and its starting to go nationally across Canada,” Wharram said.