The Faculty of Social Science is the biggest faculty at Western. Meet your 2018-19 candidates for president of the Social Science Students' Council. 

Jared Forman, Social Science Students’ Council presidential candidate

Year and program: third year, international relations

What do you see as the biggest challenge faced by students in your faculty?  

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what is the biggest challenge facing social science students, but I can definitely identify a few that must be addressed. Mental health and student wellness is an area that needs to be tackled and is the reason why it’s the first pillar of my platform. Also, dealing with the burden of the midterm and exam seasons is always a challenge so I will be advocating for grace days and a uniform makeup test policy among a variety of other initiatives.

As president, what are the three most important initiatives you hope to accomplish in your term?   

Although my platform covers more than three initiatives, I have a set of clear priorities for next year should I be elected as the next social science president. First is to create a more inclusive campus environment by continuing my work to address sexual violence on campus as well as by consulting historically marginalized groups and our growing international student body. Second, improving council engagement is a key priority which I intend to do by improving transparency and accountability through initiatives such as open office hours, a Council Information Session and a budget release and statement of account on all of our social media platforms. Lastly, I want to foster a strong and lasting relationship between our soph team and the Social Science Students’ Council, whether that be through the creation of an annual programming budget for sophs or engaging with the soph team during Orientation Week and through regular round tables.    

Social science presidential candidate Adam Khimji.

Adam Khimji, Social Science Students’ Council presidential candidate

Year and program: fourth year, political science, minor in psychology

After consulting with five generations of social science presidents, current and former executive members of council and current and former council members, as well as the general social science student body, it is evident that engagement is the key issue – not just externally but also internally. My platform (http://khimji.co) has multiple facets, but at the end of the day everything boils down to increasing engagement among council and the social science student body. 

First and foremost, I will be striving to increase engagement within council and within the social science study body. I will be achieving this through my immense expertise in technology and marketing and my strong interpersonal relationships with various stakeholders on campus and abroad. Second, I want to enhance council members’ understanding of their roles and responsibilities and further create a greater bond and working relationship among them. Lastly, I will be striving to increase transparency within council and the greater social science student body. This is a deep-rooted issue and has multiple facets and goes further than just putting all the information on the website.

Matthew Grenier, Social Science Students’ Council presidential candidate

Year and program: third year, finance

I believe that one of the biggest problems faced by the students of social science is feeling stuck in their core courses and then what people call “bird courses.” Social science students looking at graduate degrees are limiting themselves to their core courses then taking courses that their friends have describes as easy to boost their marks. I want to work with our senators and our professors to find a way to implement a pass/fail system to allow students to take courses they are passionate about not just courses they think they can achieve a high mark in. 

I want to firstly change up some of our less successful events making them into something that students are interested in going to. I believe that we should look at restructuring the events that we currently hold until they are a success before we look at adding new and costly events. Secondly, I want to make the SSSC more connectable and accessible to students by making us a “household name.” By hosting socials at events that students are already going to, like Rick’s or charity bar nights, we can expose the SSSC to more students and talk about what we are doing while also putting students in a comfortable location and situation that they’re used to. Lastly, and this is more of an internal council item, I want to make sure that council has the appropriate training and transition so that they can succeed in their term.