With the recent election cycles coming to a close, it’s time to meet the new student presidents of Western's affiliate colleges.

Inam Teja - Huron University College

Current year and program: Fourth-year global studies

What is the biggest goal for your term?

The biggest goal I want to accomplish is to really increase the capacity of mental health resources on the Huron campus while also removing accessibility barriers to access those resources.

What was the most difficult challenge you faced during your campaign?

The biggest challenge for me during the campaign was really reaching out to upper-year students who don’t hang around campus very often. I had tons of great conversations with people in first year as well as people who ate in the cafeteria and hung around campus, but I really want to make sure that I’m able to have those conversations going forward with those individuals who don’t spend a lot of time on campus and don’t see as much value in being on campus — so I can learn where the Huron Students' Council can add value to their student experience.

Fun Fact: Former London Settlers of Catan champion

Mikaila Hunter - Brescia University College

+2 
brescia presidential candidate mikaila_hunter

Bresica President Mikaila Hunter.

Current year and program: Second-year food and nutrition

What is the biggest goal for your term?

In my term, I really hope to bring together our council to provide better events and better communication between both faculty and students. I also want to make sure we’re really outreaching and having programming that is meaningful to the students and really gives back to them.

The biggest challenge was probably getting my face out there and making sure that students actually know who they’re voting for. Since I didn’t have another competitor running against me, I just wanted to make sure that students understood who they were voting for.

Fun Fact: Once camped in -40 C weather!

Hadia Fiaz - King's University College

+2 
King's USC President, Hadia Fiaz

Current year and program: Third-year honours specialization in political science and minor in philosophy

What is the biggest goal for your term?

In terms of what I want to accomplish during my term, I think the answer is two-fold:

1) I want to increase the presence of the King's University College Students' Council at King’s as well as raise the level of professionalism within our council.

2) I want to ensure that I deliver on my campaign promise of trying to better the student experience at King’s. In order to do that, I wouldn’t be able to choose one specific platform point to focus on, but rather, I would ensure that I work towards all of them. Some of the core ones being affordable education, an accessible campus and promotion of a culture of positive mental health.

I think the largest challenge I faced while campaigning was definitely the balance between school and the election. Once you are in the role, it's easier to manage all your commitments; however, the uncertainty of whether you will win or not definitely affects your ability to focus on school.

Fun Fact: Can speak three languages and has a “very cute” pet parrot

1
0
0
0
0