Campus Photos-2.jpg

The Senate Committee on Academic Policy and Awards approved several new scholarships and awards at its most recent senate meeting. These will be made effective starting the 2016-17 academic year.

The following awards are available for undergraduate or graduate students in any degree program, including affiliate colleges.

MacLean & McCann Family Track & Field Award

Valued at $4,500, this award will be given to an individual who is a member of the men’s and women’s mustang track and field team. The Western Athletic Financial Awards Committee will select the individual based on academic and athletic performance, written recommendations from the coach and team leadership. Incoming students must have a minimum admission average of 80% and current students must have an average of 70% and accord to OUA and CIS regulations.

Effective date: 2016-2017 academic year (with review of funding to follow)

Gary W. Gorham Men’s Soccer Award

Valued up to a total of $6,000, this award is offered to members of the men’s soccer team. The Western Athletic Financial Awards Committee will select the individual based on academic and athletic performance, written recommendations from the coach and team leadership. Incoming students must have a minimum admission average of 80% and current students must have an average of 70% and accord to OUA and CIS regulations. Number of awards given is to be determined.

Effective date: 2016-2017 to 2018-2019 academic years (with review of funding to follow)

Extraordinary Mustangs Gala Award

Valued up to a total of $4,500, this award is offered to members of a Western varsity team. The Western Athletic Financial Awards Committee will select the individual based on academic and athletic performance, written recommendations from the coach and team leadership. Incoming students must have a minimum admission average of 80% and current students must have an average of 70% and accord to OUA and CIS regulations. Number of awards given is to be determined.

Effective date: 2016-2017 academic year only

The following scholarships are awarded to students based on academic achievement.

Kevin H. Burley Economics Scholarship

Valued at $5,000, this scholarship is available to an undergraduate student who is graduating from an honors specialization module in economics. Candidates must have an average of at least 80% in 3200 level or higher economics courses. Candidates must also have accepted an offer of admission to an economics graduate program in one of the three following universities in the United Kingdom, London School of Economics, Oxford University or Cambridge University, or at a top-ranked US graduate economics program.

Effective date: 2016-2017 academic year

S.R. Valluri Scholarship in Mathematical or Theoretical Physics

Valued at $1,000, this scholarship is available to an undergraduate student who is entering fourth year who has shown academic in mathematical or theoretical physics courses, including Phys/Appl Math 3151, Phys 3200, Phys 3300 or another third-year equivalent in theoretical physics courses, or who has research experience in the field of mathematics and theoretical physics. Research experience must be documented and submitted to the dean’s office in science.

Effective date: 2016-2017 academic year

David Cefai Engineering Award

Valued at $1,000, this award is available to any full-time undergraduate student in second year or higher in the faculty of engineering who shows academic achievement and financial need. Financial need applications can be accessed online via the Student Centre and the award application can also be completed via the Engineering Undergraduate Services site.

Effective date: 2016-2017 to 2022-2023 academic years

Stigma Enigma Sophie Smith Scholarship

Valued at $1,000, this scholarship is available to a full-time student in fourth year of the MD program of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry who is planning for a residency in psychiatry. Candidates are to submit a one-page statement of their residency plans to the office of the associate dean on the Windsor campus. Preference will be given to students of the Windsor campus.

Effective date: 2016-2017 academic year

Jacob Ross Clemens Memorial Award

Valued at $1,500, this award is available to a full-time graduate student in the Master’s in Environment and Sustainability program. The selected student must show passion for environment, as exhibited by the late Jacob Ross Clemens whose involvement in the environment showed care and commitment.

Effective date: May 2016 to April 2021

0
0
0
0
0

Grace is a news editor for volume 111 at the Gazette. She is a fourth-year neuroscience student minoring in French studies. If you want to reach Grace, email her at grace@westerngazette.ca