Courtesy of LiteWire

For those who have trouble with chargers getting tangled in their bags or even forgetting to bring chargers, Ivey business student Ilya Khairetdinov has an innovative solution.

LiteWire is a short, dual-charging cable that is small enough to carry around in your pocket. The charger is compatible with 90 per cent of mobile devices and has a data theft protection function.

The developers and founders of LiteWire are Khairetdinov, who recently transferred from Ryerson University, and Aron Tolentino, currently at Ryerson.

According to Khairetdinov, the development of this project started out with a common question heard around university: "Do you have a charger?"

“Our company’s mission is to keep you connected by keeping your devices alive,” Khairetdinov, vice-president of sales and development, said in an email. “[LiteWire] provides students with a simple, minimalistic and safe option to charge their devices wherever they are.”

Khairetdinov explained LiteWire is especially useful to students because it charges devices at twice the speed of regular chargers. 

“One of the biggest challenges that we faced during the process was the lack of experience and technical background to create a commercial from scratch and commercialize it,” he said. “Right now the major challenges are to hit our Kickstarter goal and then to finally produce the product.”

The Kickstarter has seen significant support from donors, surpassing its goal of $20,000 a month before the campaign's end.

Anyone can back the project by making a donation or a purchase on Kickstarter. Each cable is $15, which comes with one dual charging cable, one protective shell and one key-ring. The Kickstarter runs until Jan. 1, 2016.

The Gazette news section is run by news editors and staff. Reach the news section by emailing or call 519-661-2111 ext. 81505.