The Spoke Reno 6

The Spoke's construction underway in June 2017. 

The Spoke's summer renovation is $315,000 over budget, bringing the total renovation cost to $1.45 million.

Unexpected woodworking costs increased the renovation's total cost by 28 per cent. The reno was initially projected to cost $1.14 million.

Chair of the University Students' Council's Board of Directors Andriy Katyukha said the increased cost is due to the unforeseen costs of millwork. Millwork describes the ready-made wood elements used to create a finished look in a space, like door or window trim, cabinetry or embellishments like wainscoting.

Katyukha said millwork will be used for a lot of the aesthetic finishes in the Spoke including the seating, paneling and the tables.

“Millwork is a big piece because that’s what people are expecting when they come in in September," Katyukha said. "People are expecting a similar Spoke. People didn’t want the design to change too drastically because everyone likes the vibe.”

The results from a USC survey sent out a few months ago indicated that students wanted the overall design of the Spoke to remain the same.

According to Katyukha, Western University consultants make estimates for renovations on campus. He said that while the consultants estimates are typically accurate, unforeseeable circumstances — mainly a millworker shortage in London — increased the cost.

When the renovation's extra millwork expenses were brought forward to the board, they decided it was worth spending the extra money to get the job done right.

“It was a stressful time. It’s a high stakes kind of renovation," Katyukha said. "Everything's going forward as planned, so I’m quite happy. The board did a very good job.”

8
2
4
1
24

Managing Editor of Content

Rita was the managing editor of content for Volume 111. She was previously a news editor for two years and graduated with an honours specialization in political science.