Name: Ella Wardlaw

Year: Fourth year

Program: MOS (Accounting)

Why do you want to run for SPO?

Programming and events at our university have shaped me into who I am today. I am so thankful for the hardworking leaders who organized it all, and brought so much to our campus. I’m running for Student Programs Officer to be able to continue these traditions while building new ones.

What skills and experiences make you qualified for the position?

The bulk of my experience stems from my involvement with the Orientation Program. As the Charity Programming Assistant of the Social Science Soph Team, I found my passion for leadership and learned a great deal about the intricacies of running a smooth and meaningful Orientation Program. I had the opportunity to work with dedicated volunteers to provide students with effective programming throughout the year, all while raising money and awareness for important charities.

What are your plans for Orientation Week next year?

Orientation Week is our first impression to first year students—I vow to make the most of it. I will ensure that we use this opportunity to create an enjoyable introduction to our campus, all while educating students on the importance of safety and the inclusion and acceptance of students of all backgrounds. My utmost priority is to ensure all levels of student involvement are engaged in this process. Our consultation will include students from all faculties and academic years, sophs, and members of the USC and O-Staff. 

I also want to take advantage of O-Week’s momentum to engage students during Orientation Month. This will allow us to showcase our services and involvement opportunities in more detail, with the ultimate goal of uniting students with their passion and giving back to the London community.

What are some other program initiatives that you want to plan?

I want to develop a second club’s week. Given the busy nature of September, providing students with another opportunity to look at clubs in second semester will allow them to find more of their passions. I also want to make it easier to start and lead a club. Through a FAQ page for clubs, Western USC email addresses for club executives, and transition documents for all club leaders, we will communicate the information and allow clubs to run more efficiently.

I also want to work with housing to allow more USC involvement in residences. For instance, by showcasing our services in residence, more students will become aware of the work we do and be motivated to reach out. I also want to help provide faculty councils with the opportunity to host more events in residences to show first-year students what their faculty has to offer.