new Senate - Jenny Jay.jpg

Western's student senators intend to voice their concerns regarding the slated cancellation of the Media Theory and Production program being brought to Senate on Friday.

The senators have spoken with Faculty of Information and Media Studies Students' Council members and heard their grievances about the program cut, according to chair of the student senators, Harry Orbach-Miller.

He added that they are preparing to speak in support of MTP students and against cutting the program at the moment.

“In the end I think this is more than just a FIMS thing ... this type of decision making can affect all different types of students," Orbach-Miller said.

Being a smaller program than many others at Western, the MTP program enrolled approximately 40 new students each year. Orbach-Miller pointed out, there are many smaller programs that could similarly be cut in the future such as Orbach-Miller's own program, Jewish studies.

"If we say that we value transparency, we value accountability and we value collegial decision making — which means that every single voice is valuable — then we bring that to the table even if it makes our process more difficult," Orbach-Miller said. "And if we don’t do that then it’s not really a value, it’s just something we like to say we do."

Orbach-Miller submitted an amendment to Senate which will be addressed at this Friday's meeting:

"That the Constitution of the Faculty of Media and Information Studies be revised as shown in Appendix 1. Additionally, that the Faculty of Media and Information Studies review the current student representation on the FIMS Faculty Council and report back at the January meeting of Senate."

Student senator Arjun Singh, noted Western's administration has made other important decisions without consulting students in the recent past, including the Homecoming date move.

Singh said the major difference between the two decisions is that Homecoming affected students on only a single day, whereas the MTP program cancellation affects students in the long term.

A public Facebook event was created yesterday to encourage students to attend the Senate meeting Friday.

The event's description states:

"We want to show Senate and the FIMS administration that this is unacceptable by having a large undergraduate presence at the meeting on Friday. Additionally, we hope to encourage greater student involvement in matters moving forward."

"This is meant to set a precedent for decision-making in any faculty, and students from all faculties are encouraged to come show their support."

Orbach-Miller and Singh said they want Senate to table the MTP program cut until further consultation. 

Related: MTP program cut headed to Senate despite student protests

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Content

Rita is the managing editor of content. She was previously a news editor for two years and recently graduated with an honours specialization in political science.