+2 
2007 elections issue

Elections issue Feb. 22, 2007

One horse left running behind

2007: Although Chris Reynolds, Tom Stevenson and Josh Safer all ran for University Students' Council president, The Gazette called it a “two-horse race” between Reynolds and Stevenson.

2016: Eddy Avila, Brandon Palin and Mike Roy all vied for the presidency, but 93 per cent of students threw their support behind Team Avila or Palin-Cohen.

Failed referendums

1981: A proposal to make Western’s Medway-Sydenham residence co-educational the following year failed (but Western’s administration did it anyway).

2016: The Propel referendum failed, with 64.8 per cent of students voting against the proposal.

+2 
Luchak topples Ball in recount

Mar. 3, 1981

Presidential oops!

1981: Jeff Ball won the presidency by a margin of three votes tallying 2,049 compared to the 2,046 votes cast for runner-up Peter Luchak. Two days later and after a recount, the USC announced Luchak actually won the elections by four votes.

2015: Jack Litchfield wins the USC elections, by a 32 vote margin over Sophie Helpard. Two months later, Sophie Helpard is declared president after an appeals board disqualifies Litchfield for breaking too many elections rules during his campaign.

+2 
"Gazette fucked up again"

Feb. 13, 1998

Gazette told it fucked up again”

1998: Brett Slade, who lost the USC presidential elections by over 800 votes to president-elect Ian Armour, said he lost the elections because “The Gazette fucked up … you chose the wrong candidate to endorse.”

2016 (jk, every year): There will always be students who grumble over The Gazette's annual USC elections endorsement. Highlights from this year's comment section include: "The Gazette ed board probably should get their head out of their collective ass," and "this editorial is a joke, filled with meaningless platitudes." 

Elections voting fiasco

1999: Two USC councillors were mistakenly declared unofficial winners after the USC prematurely published elections results.

2016: For the first time, the elections results were released the day after polls closed to ensure absolute accuracy ensuring Team Avila is here to stay. 

0
0
0
0
0

Editor-in-Chief

Amy is editor-in-chief of the Gazette and a Faculty of Information and Media Studies graduate. She started working at the Gazette in February 2014. Want to give her a story tip or feedback? Email editor@westerngazette.ca