Last night, the University Students' Council (USC) took on CHRW's Annual General Meeting (AGM) and their own AGM I. All in all, councillors moved through motions quickly and without much debate. 

CHRW

Before the USC's annual meeting, CHRW's program director Andrew Barton presented amendments to the station's bylaw 1. 

According to Barton, the amendments are focused around clarifying the language used. Some changes to the membership requirements were also made to accurately represent the membership of Radio Western.

As a result of the bylaw amendments, CHRW will work towards building a good relationship with the USC as well as insuring accountability and transparency to students.

CHRW's motion 2 regarding their budget for 2017-18 was passed unanimously with minimal discussion.

Motion 3, to appoint PriceWaterhouseCoopers as auditors for 2017-18 was also passed unanimously.

USC AGM I

The second part of the USC meeting was the organization's own AGM — it went by smoothly with little debate on the motions.

The first item on the agenda, the Affiliate Agreement, passed unanimously. The agreement was presented by USC president Eddy Avila who stressed that this plan will help build the relationship between main campus council and affiliate councils. Avila acknowledged that affiliate students have different needs than those on main campus and that UCC occupancy rates charged to them would be reduced in accordance to account for their lesser use of main campus facilities.

Motion 2, the USC’s Strategic Plan, was also presented by Avila and passed with a vote of 97 per cent in favour. The Strategic Plan outlines the USC’s long-term vision and Avila noted the difficulties with this given the yearly turnover of council and students at large.

Avila notes new students come to Western each year therefore the strategic plan must be flexible. 

The plan has five central areas of focus in the plan: student experience, advocacy, student development, student support and student experience. 

Motion 3 on CHRW recommendations and Motion 4 on Pride Western were presented by science councillor Jack Whelan and passed unanimously. 

Harry Orbach-Miller, proxying for Ivey councillor David DiBrina, brought forward a motion on mental health training but after some debate it was tabled until AGM II this Sunday.

A final motion brought forward by Avila asked to direct the Gazette’s publication edition value review —brought forward by Orbach-Miller at the last council meeting — to the Board of Directors and not the Gazette Publications Committee as council could not task the committee for such a review. The motion passed unanimously.

AGM II takes place this Sunday at which time the new students programs officer will also be elected.