Council composition conundrum

The USC's elections governance committee awarded three demerit points to candidates for pre-campaigning on Monday night. 

Team Ocean, one of the presidential slates, received two demerit points for infractions on part of their campaign volunteers. The volunteers shared and liked articles relating to Team Ocean's candidacy before the campaigning period, which began at 12:01 a.m., Jan. 22.

This is a violation of section 11.7 under by-law #2, which states that, “Candidates and prospective candidates are not permitted to influence or attempt to influence voters prior to the campaign period.”

Candidate for social science president, Adam Khimji, also received one demerit point for a photo he posted on Snapchat alluding to his candidacy before the official campaign period. The elections governance committee found this to be a negligent act, considering the USC's chief returning officer had answered Khimji’s questions about pre-campaigning prior to the violation.

Khimji declined to comment, and Team Ocean did not respond to a request for a comment.

Both are considered minor violations. 

Over the course of the election period, presidential slates can be awarded a maximum 30 demerit points and all other USC candidates can be awarded a maximum of 20 demerit points. Exceeding these limits results in disqualification.

1
7
2
2
8

Sabrina is pursuing her second year as a News Editor here at the Gazette. She is a fourth year International Relations student at Western University.