Foco Image 5 (Rooftop Wide Angle)

A mass of purple pride during the morning of Sept. 30, 2017. 

Western is reviewing one student's actions after an alleged violation of the Code of Student Conduct during FOCO.

The investigation comes from a complaint received by the office of Western University's vice provost (academic programs), John Doerksen.

Doerksen said the violation “doesn’t have to do with the street party itself.”

“There is a behaviour of significant concern under the code,” Doerksen said. He said he can't offer details because the inquiry is a confidential process.

The code states that Western's jurisdiction includes any behaviour that threatens students’ safety or the image of the university as a whole, whether on- or off-campus.

Prohibited student conduct includes — but is not limited to — disruption, misconduct involving property, misconduct against persons and dangerous activity.

Doerksen said the code of conduct aims to help students learn from their behaviour.

“Our orientation is very strongly to use the code, not as a punitive measure, but as a restorative measure,” Doerksen said. “There will be a review of any situation that comes forward with an opportunity to meet with the student, and [we will] try to understand all the perspectives on the issue, and then we will come to decisions under the code.”

Western typically sees 20 to 30 cases of conduct violations each year. 

“It is an incident that is coincident with the street party, but it is not Western saying that you shouldn’t be attending the street parties,” Doerksen said.

0
2
4
1
0