Brandon Papp
Courtesy of Facebook.

The Western University community is grieving the death of 22-year-old Brandon Papp, an upper-year geological sciences student, who died Sunday Nov. 19.

A memorial service will be held this Friday, Nov. 24 at 3:00 p.m. at Westview Funeral Chapel with a visitation two hours prior to the service. 

Brandon's family includes parents Shawn Papp and Barb Charron-Papp; brother, Ryan Papp; his grandmother Bernice and many aunts, uncles, cousins along with countless friends.

Brandon was an avid athlete, playing a variety of sports including hockey, football and rugby.

To many, Brandon was a kind and caring friend. Grant McGuire, fourth-year media, theory and production student, was Brandon's roommate and knew him since first year when they lived on the same floor at Perth Hall. McGuire described Brandon as a multi-talented, creative guy with strong drawing and music skills.

“Brandon was the kind of guy that would always put other people first," McGuire said. "He just wanted everyone to be happy even if that meant sacrificing his own happiness sometimes.”

McGuire added that Brandon was always supportive of his friends. When McGuire would write essays late into the night, he'd sometimes take a break to go get fast food. Brandon wouldn't be hungry but he would go for the walk with McGuire just to keep him company.

"He's the kind of person that wanted to make sure you were in a good head space, and he was there to support you," he said.

McGuire also said Brandon had an incredible, subtle humour. Just a few weeks ago, Brandon brought home a wheelchair he found on the curb. The roommates fooled around, doing wheelies throughout the house for the next while.

"Brandon would find something he knew we would all enjoy, and he would bring it home, so we could do it as a group." McGuire said.

Olivia Lemenchick, third-year nursing student, also spoke about how Brandon was someone she could always depend on. She mentioned Brandon’s ability to light up the room with his big smile and goofy personality.

“You made every single day one to remember, and I can’t thank you enough for being part of my life,” Lemenchick said, in a Facebook statement. 

Western will lower the flag on University College on Friday in Brandon's memory. Anyone wishing to make a donation in memory of Brandon are asked to consider the Canadian Mental Health Association – Middlesex.

For students in need of support, there are multiple campus resources available. You can visit the Wellness Education Centre or Peer Support Centre in the University Community Centre.

Brandon is the second Western student to pass away this semester.

3
0
2
65
9

Hill Du is a news editor for volume 111 at the Gazette. You can contact him with any questions or concerns at hill.du@westerngazette.ca