Photo for Dr. Loubani's Injury

Photo courtesy of Dr. Loubani's Medium web page.

Dr. Tarek Loubani, associate professor at Western University, was struck by a sniper bullet near the Gaza border yesterday.

In a statement released yesterday, Dr. Loubani said he was "well away from the protest area" when a sniper fired a round through his left calf and into his right Monday morning.

He stated that he and other paramedics came under fire, despite wearing "fluorescent high visibility jackets." One of his paramedic colleagues, Musa Abuhassanin, was killed while attempting to provide medical relief to a protester under fire.

Dr. Loubani, in addition to his work at Western's Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, is a physician in the London Health Sciences system. He began fieldwork in the conflict area on Monday, providing wounded Palestinians with paramedic care.

Dr. Loubani claimed that there were no protesters in his immediate vicinity when the attack occurred.

In an interview with The Globe and Mail, Dr. Loubani insisted that attention be placed on the lack of medical resources available for Palestinians.

At the time of writing his blog post, Dr. Loubani said he was one of eighteen paramedics struck by live ammunition in the conflict area, with Abuhassanin the only fatality. Dr. Loubani dedicated the post to "the brave women and men of Gaza’s paramedic and front-line response teams."

Not his first experience with international conflict, Dr. Loubani and filmmaker John Greyson were detained for over seven weeks in an Egyptian prison while travelling to Gaza for medical relief work in 2013.

In an online statement posted today, Schulich said, "Dr. Loubani has been in contact with us today and is safe and doing well. We at Schulich Medicine & Dentistry are thinking of Dr. Loubani and his colleagues and are looking forward to his safe return."

0
3
7
14
7