Western winter campus UC hill

Western University received close to $14,000,000 last week from the Ontario Research Fund for five separate research projects.

The Ontario Research Fund awards research institutions with funding to cover the operational costs of large-scale research projects. Provincial funding is matched by the federal government as part of a larger grant organized by the Canadian Foundation for Innovation.

This year, Western was awarded the third-highest number of grants in Ontario — just behind the University of Toronto and the University of Waterloo. Funding for each project ranged from $1,476,122 to $4,471,622.

Project Lead researcher Funding
The Physical and Chemical Degradation of Materials David Shoesmith $4,471,622
New Horizons in Human Cognitive Neuroscience Research
at the Brain and Mind Institute
Melvyn A. Goodale $1,476,122
Minimally-invasive Surgery and Therapy Terry Peters $2,712,913
Infectious Disease Pathogenesis Facility for the Study of
Emerging and Re-emerging Infectious Diseases
Eric Arts $3,196,098
Facility for Microcirculatory Imaging and Tissue Analytics Geoffrey Pickering $1,969,251

Projects, such as the new horizons in human cognitive neuroscience research and the minimally-invasive surgery and therapy, plan on using the funding to purchase new, state-of-the-art equipment for their respective facilities at the Brain and Mind Institute and Robarts Research Institute. Some of Western’s projects that will receive funding include physical and chemical degradation, cognitive neuroscience, minimally invasive surgery, infectious diseases and imaging analytical tools.

The Brain and Mind Institute, directed by Melvyn Goodale, has recently just moved to the newly built Western Interdisciplinary Research Building.

“We have two floors of labs, and we requested a good deal of new equipment to take us into the next decade of research,” said Goodale.

The minimally-invasive surgery and therapy project, led by Terry Peters, also aims to gear their funding towards new equipment that will include surgical robotics, instrumentation and visualization systems.

“[The grant] is to establish a fairly unique image-guided surgery research facility at Robarts, which will have state of the art equipment,” said Peters.

With the funding from the CFI, these five projects at Western anticipate bringing their exciting studies to a broader audience.

0
0
2
0
0