UC College Fall Photo

University College on Oct. 30, 2017.

Shanghai’s 2017 Global Ranking of Academic Subjects ranked Western University’s civil engineering department number one in Canada and 12th globally.

The department — led by Ashraf El Damatty, chair of the civil and environmental engineering department — earned its rankings by meeting measures like research collaborations, publications in top journals, citations and scientific awards. Shanghai’s ranking methodology takes into account a minimum number of research publications between 2011 to 2015. For civil engineering, the minimum number was 100 publications.

El Damatty said the civil engineering department's facilities and faculty distinguish it from other universities.

“We have some of the best infrastructure facilities for testing structures in the world," El Damatty said. "All of the professors in my department are very strong in their research area and are among the top in their fields. Students are surrounded by opportunities and guidance from some of the world’s best educators.”

Professor El Damatty intends on maintaining the department’s reputation by continuing to focus on their contributions in underdeveloped countries like Africa, Cuba and Bangladesh.

“To be the best in the world, you have to work hard,” El Damatty said. 

2
0
0
0
0