Today is International Women’s Day. Here's what it means to Western University students and staff.

Hannah Frassinelli

Hannah Frassinelli, March 8, 2018.

Hannah Frassinelli,  third year, women's studies

“International Women's Day is about recognizing all the women that have gone unrecognized throughout history, all the amazing things they have been able to do and the things they have been unable to do.”

Jenny Zhang

Jenny Zhang, March 8, 2018.

Jenny Zhang, second year, medical sciences

“International Women's Day has always been about celebrating women and celebrating gender equality, but I think this year, especially in the wake of all the Hollywood allegations, a lot of people are starting to think a little bit differently about International Women's Day. It's about what's really going on behind the scenes and getting more women to come forward.”

Andrew Zouki

Andrew Zouki, March 8, 2018.

Andrew Zouki, third year, business

“It's about appreciating and recognizing all the strong and powerful women in our lives who have helped to make us the best people we can be."

Samantha Gianotti

Samantha Gianotti, March 8, 2018.

Samantha Gianotti, registered dietitian at Western's Dietitian Services

“Over 90 per cent of dieticians are women, so it's so important to support other women and their business ventures and their careers. I am also a mom, and I have a daughter, so it's important to me that she grows up in a world where women can do whatever they want and be respected as equals."

Aida Noorbakhsh

Aida Noorbakhsh, March 8, 2018.

Aida Noorbakhsh, third year, kinesiology

“It is a day to celebrate all the powerful women around the world who have been suppressed or who have been told they couldn't do something because of their gender."

Dwayne Francis

Dwayne Francis, March 8, 2017.

Dwayne Francis, third year, health sciences

“I'm a big fan of my mom; she's made me the person I am today, so celebrating people like her and the important and strong women in our lives is what it's all about."

Roann Enriquez and Megha Vohra

Roann Enriquez and Megha Vohra, March 8, 2018.

Megha Vohra, second year, medical sciences

“Women have been really underrepresented, so having a day that celebrates all the achievements that women have accomplished in the last years is an amazing feat."

Roann Enriquez, third year, political science

“This past summer, I went on a global international exchange to Indonesia where I helped women who came from low income families create their own social business."

Leslie Wu

Leslie Wu, March 8, 2018.

Leslie Wu, first year, engineering 

“I believe that women, even though they haven't been as represented, have one of the most important roles in society."

The Gazette news section is run by news editors and staff. Reach the news section by emailing or call 519-661-2111 ext. 81505.