Andrew Forgione

USC election videos have become a staple of any campaign, featured alongside the platform, social media links and endorsements. The Gazette taking a walk down memory lane and examine some of the best, most creative and cringe-worthy videos.

2009 Campaign — Emily Rowe

This video is arguably the beginning of the modern USC campaign video, and a parody of the Discovery Channel "Boom De Yada" commercial. It's a great video that makes you realize all the wonderful things that Western has to offer. Maclean's described the video as "a stroke of genius." Voters seemed to agree — she received 42 per cent of the vote in a crowded seven candidate field. 

2011 Campaign — Andrew Forgione 

"Western is the place of opportunity, if there's anywhere in the world you want to come, follow your dreams and try to make it big, it's Western." Combining that school pride and pop-culture-loving spirit by spoofing Duck Sauce's song "Barbara Streisand," Forgione probably hoped to capture some of Rowe's magic. While he wasn't featured in Maclean's, he still won the election easily.

+1 
USC Walking

2012 Campaign — Adam Fearnall and Jon Silver

Walking through campus was the major theme of the 2012 campaign as two candidates released two eerily similar videos. Silver and Fearnall (whose original video appears to be off YouTube, but enjoy this critique) had minor differences but when you have the same overarching theme, people apparently don't notice. It worked out for both candidates — Fearnall won the election, with Silver in second.

2012 Campaign — Claire McArthur 

Set to the iconic "Call Me Maybe" by national treasure Carly Rae Jepsen, I'm still not sure whether McArthur's video is horrifying, hilarious, iconic or all three in equal measure. It features her with pitchers of beer, eating full heads of lettuce and hanging with her "friends." But she laughs at almost any situation she's filmed in, and as a result, McArthur's personality shines through.

This YouTube comment may sum up the viewing experience:

"I'm studying for midterms and make myself watch this video every time I get a practice question wrong." 

2013 Campaign — Team McGuire 

Can a video kill a campaign? As a senator-at-large and former Social Science Students' Council president, Ashley McGuire was a qualified candidate. But when her slate dropped a Fresh Prince of Bel Air rap video at the beginning of her campaign, it stunted their energy. Adding salt to the wound? Her team released a touching and effective video later in the campaign but proved to be too little, too late — Team McGuire finished in last place, far behind two frontrunners. 

2015 Campaign — Team Litchfield  

The case of the disappearing candidate! Walking returns to campaign videos after three years, but with an added twist! At one point in the video, presidential candidate Jack Litchfield disappeared and then reappeared. How strange. The video revealed virtually nothing about the campaign — but apparently this tactic worked. Team Litchfield pulled out a win in the election by 32 votes — only to be disqualified two months later for breaking campaign rules.

0
0
0
0
0

Bradley is the digital managing editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. This is his fourth year on the editorial board, previously working in Opinions, Sports, and Culture. He's a recent graduate with a degree in Canadian-American relations.