Re: USC's next student programs officer: the five candidates 

Harry Orbach-Miller is without a question involved in the student government circles. I do not question his track record of supporting students or his competence on the Senate or the Social Science Students' Council (SSSC).

However, I believe there to be serious questions that council should consider, and the public should be aware of, regarding his candidacy for Student Programs Officer (SPO).

For an executive to function effectively, it is imperative that there not only a broad consensus of vision and policy but a culture of trust and respect between executives themselves. For example, the Avila administration would be ineffective without the active cooperation between the current SPO, Allie Adamo and the president/vice-president slate. Adamo was previously their campaign manager, thus their consensus has proved to make for effective governance.  

Team DiBrina lost a democratic election by an overwhelming margin. They were, however, completely within their rights to appeal the decisions of the Chief Returning Officer (CRO) to the Appeals Board, no matter the margin.

That said, I am concerned this may have created an animosity between Mr. Orbach-Miller and the incoming president/vice-president slate. Clearly, in running a separate campaign, Mr. Orbach-Miller shares a different vision of the USC than from Mr. Tobi Solebo and Mr. Landon Tulk. I imagine that this appeals process, while within Team DiBrina’s rights, has exacerbated this ability and may strain the vital cooperation required at the Executive level.

While, again, I do not doubt that Mr. Orbach-Miller is qualified for this position, I do however question whether the student population believes he has a role to play within the USC Executive.

Having explicitly rejected his vision, would it be right for Council to subvert the will of students regarding this vision. Is this a backdoor admission to the USC executive; one required without the expressed will of students? And thus, I believe that this may undermine student confidence in the USC.

Council has a large decision to make. It would do them well to ask Mr. Orbach-Miller some questions, considering both the aforementioned concerns and this past turbulent election.

— Declan Hodgins, International Relations II