Re: It's time to challenge arts and humanities students

Richard Joseph’s voice is one we have become accustomed to in popular journalism, that of the ‘well-informed’ pseudo-intellectual fighting the blind ignorances of Western University culture with skilful rhetoric and carefully crafted critical language.

What I will not do in this letter-to-the-editor is attempt to defend my faculty slandered in the recently published "It’s time to challenge arts and humanities students" article; however, I of course do not agree with the way he has ignorantly represented arts and humanities to the readers of the Gazette.

This article imagines a binaric view for the Arts and Humanities. By writing of the “meandering, directionless [responses … without … qualification],” the “sheer stupidity of the answers” and the “inarticulacy” found in arts and humanities classrooms, the writer uses his elitist narrative as self-masturbatory compensation for a seemingly bruised ego. It lacks nuance, critiquing the faculty without the critical intellectual foundation that the Arts faculty breeds. The writer’s ‘self-awareness’ in speaking up against his own faculty is a manipulative, self-serving device.

The Arts and Humanities faculty thrives on open discussion because, to reference the writer’s favourite book, things are not black and white — they are Fifty Shades of Grey. What journalism needs, and especially student journalism, is a lecture on the fluid concept of criticality.

Perhaps that may be a better use of time than, as I am quoting in another similarly phrased article entitled "Why I can’t stand O-Week’s pomp and circumstance," “hiding in the Gazette office and writing bitter, self-righteous columns.”

—Camille Intson, third-year English literature and theatre studies student; arts and humanities head soph