Huron soph video

Screengrab from the Lord of the Cheers video

How does Huron, the small, sometimes forgotten and yet Western's founding college, get its soph team pumped for O-Week?

What a silly question. Their head soph, Drew Sussman, makes a Lord of the Rings parody video of course!

The 12-minute video titled “Lord of the Cheers” pits members of the Huron soph team against the evil Saugeen, who created “one cheer to rule them all”. When “a last alliance of affiliates and aquatic animals marched against the armies of Saugeen,” it was lost, only to later be found by Huron.

Following an amusing encounter with an all-knowing soph in the library, our two protagonists (also sophs) set out to find a way to unlock the book containing the sacred cheer.

"There’s kind of an inside joke, a friendly rivalry, between the Saugeen soph team and the Huron soph team," says Sussman.

The two share a cheer: "In the heart of the Western jungle you can hear that ____ (Saugeen/Huron) rumble" and compete to see who can do it better.

Unlike many of its goofy counterparts on the web, this parody is surprisingly well done. Kudos to Sussman for creating it. If Huron’s O-Week has even half as much thought put in, it’ll be one to remember (read: I’m jealous).

While not showing the video directly to frosh due to time constraints, Sussman says those who see it will likely feel proud to be a Huron student.

"I want to make a mark on this team that will really inspire the first years absolutely, but also future generations of sophs to really do something big," says Sussman regarding his thoughts going into the project.

Sophs and frosh alike will definitely get a heap of entertainment from this video, especially with the many references to Western and Huron campuses.

"On a personal level I’m really proud and I’m extremely flattered at the response," says Sussman. "This is something that... advanced the really friendly rivalry we have over that cheer and put [Huron's soph team] on the map."

0
0
0
0
0

Ellis is a Culture Editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. He is a fourth-year Sociology student intent on pursuing a career in journalism. If you wish to reach Ellis, email him at ellis@westerngazette.ca