Throughout the years, Western has produced an array of brilliant academics, talented artists and influential figures who have impacted the world with their ideas and creativity.

But nothing compares to the captivating and important work of alumnus Connor Thompson, who, with his friend and co-founder Chris Elphick, created Cockadoodles, an adult colouring book entirely made up of penises.

You read that right, penises. Lots of penises. 

What began as a joke snowballed into a surprisingly successful entrepreneurial project. After setting up an IndieGoGo campaign online, the duo raised a staggering $5,854 in donations at the time of publication, well over their initial goal of $5,000.

The Gazette caught up with these two to talk about life, the book and what’s in store for the future. 

How did you guys come up with this idea?

Connor: This was all me. I don’t say that proudly — kind of, but not really. I was with my girlfriend and a friend of hers in a Chapters and I made a really bad joke about how adult colouring books don’t actually have any adult content, so how adult can they be? I giggled about it for a month or two and thought there might be something there. So I mentioned it to Chris and he thought it was as funny as I did. And that’s kind of what got the ball rolling on the colouring books, so that idea tumbled downhill and became “we should make a colouring book full of dicks!" And then we did.

Chris: We knew dicks were going to be the answer for a while. We knew it was something that the world was ready for, we just didn’t know in what way. Then, when Connor brought up the colouring idea, it just kind of worked.

On your IndieGoGo page it says you guys engaged in some “questionable research.” Just curious, what did that research entail?

Connor: Dicks. Mostly dicks. But you can’t just google wieners and hope for the best. You have to be descriptive. The more adjectives and descriptors you can use the better. 

What was the procedure in choosing the right penis?

Chris: I mean, we wanted to be as diverse as possible. If we have 32 pages of just big hard dicks it would probably get boring by 6 or 7 pages. So we needed to cover as much as the gambit as possible and, going back to the questionable research, covering a gambit that we didn’t really know existed to this extent or that we were willfully ignorant of up to this point.

Was there ever a point where you had doubts? Did Chris ever turn to you and say, “Look man like I don’t know if I can do this anymore"?

Connor: Chris was much worse for that than I was. When I say that, I mean he struggled with it and for whatever reason I was fine just drawing all these dicks, which does not say anything promising about me. 

Chris: It’s just that, with some of the details that this has... it got a little different. And as far as the whole project, I definitely had doubts. I was worried, as of a few days ago, I didn’t think we would break $2,000 in the crowd funding.

How have your families responded so far?

Chris: I really considered telling my dad about this today. I still haven’t. We went out for lunch today, and you know we talked and chatted and I thought, you know I could bring this up now—

Connor: That would’ve been perfect!

Chris: It would’ve been the perfect time. I could’ve said, 'Hey, we just hit our crowd funding goal.' 'On what?' he would ask. 'Well here’s the thing.'

Connor: My family thought it was funny. My girlfriend’s parents, I don’t think they knew what to make of it. And then yesterday, my girlfriend's dad ordered two of them. I was never intending to show it to him. Because on the last page, there’s a man sticking his own wiener in his butt. And my girlfriends dad is going to see that and if he asks who drew that, I’m not pitting it on Chris. That was me. I drew that.  

Chris: I was talking to you last night and I was willing to take the blame just because like I may never meet this person. This is someone you’re going to have to see for presumably a long time.

Any plans for the future? Do you think there’s potential for this to be a series?

Chris: It’s certainly a possibility, I really think the title “Cockadoodles 2: Erect Boogaloo” could be something. And then we’ve even had some of our friends and stuff coming up to us with different ideas. Connor, did you get a text message from Mark the other day saying 'Dick board game?'

Connor: I did. I was also sent an unsolicited dick pic, which I initially tried to deny and was sent anyway. So that’s my life now. Unsolicited dick pics from people on Tinder. Thanks fellas!

0
0
0
0
0

Moses Monterroza is a news editor for Volume 110 of the Gazette. Previously, he was an arts and life editor for Volume 109, and staff writer for Volume 108. You can reach him at moses@westerngazette.ca.