Advanced polling for the 2018 Ontario provincial elections opened on May 26, and with today being Ontarians' final chance to cast a ballot, the Gazette asked campus members what voting means to them.

Elizabeth Blokker, engineering student

+3 
Campus Voters (Photo 1)

Engineering student Elizabeth Blokker on Oxford Drive, June 7, 2018.

“I think it means having your voice heard on important issues—specifically for this election in Ontario,… we have a lot of different candidates coming, and I think, as a student, it’s really important because we are the youth who are going to lead the generation tomorrow.”

Scott Charlton, MRI Technologist at Robarts Research Institute

+3 
Campus Voters (Photo 2)

Campus MRI technologist Scott Charlton stands with Middlesex College in the distance, June 7, 2018.

“It allows us to hold into account our leaders and hopefully inspire change.”

Alessandra Hayes, nursing student

+3 
Campus Voters (Photo 3)

Nursing student Alessandra Hayes smiles outside of the FIMS and Nursing Building, June 7, 2018.

“It’s important because it’s our way as individuals to have our say—at least to some degree. It doesn’t necessarily have a huge impact, but it’s the least we can do to have some sort of control over who’s in charge of our province or our country.”

Monica Nguyen, 2018 nursing graduate

+3 
Campus Voters (Photo 4)

Nursing graduate Monica Nguyen smiles wide on Concrete Beach, June 7, 2018.

“It means having your say, regardless if you think your vote matters.… In perspective for me at least, what made me become politically active at the age I am is because there’s some people that don’t have the right to vote at all, and I think just with seeing what’s happening in the states with Donald Trump, it makes me think that even if I think it doesn’t matter, it will always matter, right? We should be thankful to be living in Canada.”

0
0
0
0
0