Letter Writer
WINNIE LU / GAZETTE

Re: Things to consider for housing budgeting

It is no question that affordability is a prominent issue for Western University students. Often, I hear that a large portion of many students’ budgets goes towards housing expenses. As this article points out, figuring out your housing situation can be very intimidating and stressful. I think we’ve found a way that many students can start saving more money when it comes to housing expenses.

If you are a student who pays for your own electricity bill, you may qualify for a credit on your electricity bill. The Ontario government has created the Ontario Electricity Support Program to reduce the cost of low income households’ electricity, often including student households, by applying a monthly credit directly to the bill. The credit amount depends on how many people live in your home and your combined household income after taxes.

It is important to note that utility bill needs to be in the name of a student, not a landlord. So in some cases a lower rent which doesn’t include utilities can be better, if you can get the province to lower the cost of the utilities.

All you have to do to receive the credit is fill out an application and mail in a consent form! Or you can drop it off at the University Students' Council office in the University Community Centre 340, and we can mail it for you. The credit will then be automatically applied to your bills.

Visit www.ontarioelectricitysupport.ca to see if you are eligible and to apply online today!

— Landon Tulk, USC vice-president

1
1
1
0
0