Team DiBrina's platform is a comprehensive one and focuses on many reform goals within the USC itself.

With both slate members having prior experience with the USC and the University administration, their platform comes across as thorough and well-researched in many respects. 

This analysis highlights some of the major points on the slate's platform. For the full platform, visit here.  

Mental health 

The slate's big proposed initiative on mental health is their referendum to raise add $500,000 to support mental health services on campus. While this is definitely a different approach to the issue, it remains to be seen if more money might fix issues such as the campus's attitude towards mental health as raised earlier this year

Related: Platfrom Analysis: Team Tobi

Additionally, the slate wants to implement transferable case files and a universal booking system so that students who are looking for help are able to find them easily and without being referred to a number of professionals before finding the help they need. This might help with students being moved around to different resources and having to share their stories repeatedly. 

Campus life

Team DiBrina’s platform proposes some interesting changes. Some of the changes include introducing hash browns at The Spoke, designating the fireplace lounge as an official nap room, funding green initiatives, offering cultural programming during O-Week and making Western Film free to all students. 

One of the bigger changes include bringing Homecoming back to campus. In an interview with the slate, they confirmed that the current USC executives’ initiative to hold a Homecoming party outside of Western this year was not successful and they want to bring it back to Western's campus. Considering Western's much needed involvement in bringing Hoco festivities back to campus, this might end up being similar to on campus programming held by the USC this year. 

They also want to provide a discounted parking pass to students living outside of London who demonstrate financial need. While parking is a notoriously difficult issue for students at Western, vice-presidential candidate, Harry Orbach-Miller, noted that he has already sat down with Parking & Visitor Services manager, Mark Van Den Bossche, to talk about the plans.

In a rather noticeable statement, Team DiBrina said they also wants to close the Purple Store. The idea has been discussed for some time, and the slate cites the use of student funds to provide an overpriced version of the Book Store products as reason enough to shut it down. Instead, they would like to replace it with a healthier food option for students such as Freshii. If this goes through, it will be a remarkable change in the way USC has dealt with redundant services in the recent past. 

Related: Platfrom Analysis: Team Jan/Mohammad

Finally, as their only external initiatives, Team DiBrina promises to advocate to the London Transit Commission (LTC) about providing evening and weekend service for the 102 and 106 routes.

However, looking into the bus route system, it may be hard to convince LTC to spend the funds on these routes considering that the 2 and 13 follow the same routes and are offered during the evening and weekend.  

In response to their lack of external advocacy, Orbach-Miller and DiBrina noted that changing LTC routes is one of the very few tangible external points that they may have an impact on. Instead, the slate made it clear that they would rather focus on the internal issues at Western.

Academics

The team also has a number of ideas to help make the academic year go smoother for students. Fortunately, many of their proposals seem to be relatively doable. However, it should be clarified that most of these initiatives cannot be put in place by the USC — they can only advocate to the university.

Some of the issues they want to focus on include extending course drop dates, creating an archive of course outlines, mandating that professors post grades on OWL and implementing a “bounce back” program for first-year students struggling in their first semester.

They also want to deal with the 3 in 23 issue with exams. However, although most students can sympathize with this, it is an issue that the USC has tried to deal with year after year and failed to change — it's not even in the USC's jurisdiction to do so.

Other

The slate promises to be transparent in terms of grant funding, executive funds and donation disclosure. They want to organize campus consultations and release monthly written reports. However, this is not necessarily new but rather a build-off of the current USC executive initiative to engage more with the students.

They have also put a heavy focus on clubs, including an entire section in their platform dedicated to dealing with club space, pre-approved food vendors and going back to the traditional clubs week.

They also have a lot in store for council reform. Being involved with council, this slates have knowledge about some of the main issues with this institution. Some of their ideas include ensuring transparency of council meetings, providing a councillor training program and incorporating a councillor mentorship program for new councillors.