USC Debate 5

Ocean Enbar.

A letter to the editor and the student body at large,

In the last debate, I, Ocean Enbar, took a very passionate and firm stance on the implications of women’s rights and freedom of speech on campus. Since the debate, I have had the pleasure of consulting with a number of students on campus from both sides of the spectrum. The consultations centred on my policy plans pertaining to free speech on campus as well as my approach to controversial expressions on campus. 

Firstly, I want to make it clear that I do not intend on putting forward policy that will ban any ratified clubs from our campus. As a political science student, one thing I have learned is that the role of the government is to protect the interests of minorities. I firmly believe that the opinions and values of minority groups from both sides of the conversation have a right to be discussed and debated.

As the University Students' Council president, I must ensure that the communal spaces on our campus are welcoming to all the students at large. While I strongly believe that every individual and group on our campus should have the right to express their opinions, those views should not come at the expense of other students. However, as the USC president, I must ensure that the communal spaces on our campus are welcoming to all the students at large.

While I strongly believe that every individual and group on our campus should have the right to express their opinions, those views should not come at the expense of other students. Ultimately, it is a matter of campus geography. Every ratified club deserves a space on campus to discuss and debate their values and beliefs. It will be my job as the USC president to mediate and find a compromise between the interests of various groups on campus. 

I look forward to working on these issues on a case-by-case basis. Along with the future student programming officer, the executives, the council and students from both sides of the aisle, I will work as hard as I can to ensure that intellectual debates and discussions can continue to take place on our campus without de-legitimizing other students’ choices and decisions.

I encourage more students to come and discuss this issue at our booth in the University Community Centre. Your voice matters and I want to hear it. 

Sincerely,

Ocean Enbar, presidential candidate

11
6
2
1
4