Landon Tulk 2018

Photo courtesy of outgoing University Student's Council vice-president Landon Tulk.

It’s been a whirlwind of a year, filled with excitement and opportunities representing the 30,000 undergraduate students here on our campus. All I can say is thank you.

As the vice-president of your University Students’ Council, I spent this term in office addressing the everyday issues that students on our campus continue to face. The role of vice-president, to advocate for students’ interests to both the university administration and all levels of government (municipal, provincial and federal), was a challenging but rewarding opportunity. Whether I was at Queen’s Park speaking about why improved mental health resources are an absolute priority for students or right here on campus looking to our university and the London community for increased employment opportunities for students, I always had in mind exactly whom I was fighting for: you. 

Students on this campus continue to innovate, lead and contribute to the broader community, all while balancing their academic studies. Never have I been surrounded with such an engaged, driven and empowering group of people in my life. Western, take a moment and realize how important each of you are to this campus community. Whether you’ve just graduated, just started here at Western or are somewhere in between, this university is filled with people who support one another in pursuits of success. The residences we live in, the teams we play on, the fraternities and sororities we join, the clubs we’re a part of and the friends we have believe in us, they support us and they empower us to aim higher.

Not a day passed that I was not grateful to be representing the students on this campus. Healthy disagreements, challenges and lengthy discussions with university administrators and stakeholders at every political level were a part of the process that helped drive change, both on and off our campus. Wherever I was, I brought the stories and concerns of Western students directly to decision makers.

The work our student executive team did this year could not have been possible, however, without the help of the volunteers and staff at the USC, who support the vision to improve students’ experiences. The USC volunteers and staff are the backbone that support and empower the students on this campus, such as our club leaders, sophs, team captains and entrepreneurs, to be their best. Western has one of the best student experiences in Canada, and we will continue to, so long as students continue to feel empowered and encouraged to make positive changes.

I believe there is no better campus community to be a part of: London and Western are paired perfectly together. We have the brightest students, a thriving community and a university that cares about our success. I cannot thank you enough for giving me this opportunity to represent you, to advocate for you and to never stop fighting for you.

Thank you, Western.

— Landon Tulk, outgoing University Student's Council vice-president 

11
3
1
0
6