Letter Writer

Re: Outrage culture hinders constructive campus discussions 

How the cafe owner referred to an employee's position as a joke was inappropriate; however, I agree that he shouldn’t have been fired.

Although I admire the poorly articulated sentiment of the article, I can’t get past how the author fails to recognize the outrage culture within his own piece. The author has a crucial misunderstanding of political correctness.

All it entails is respecting the most basic rights and freedoms of fellow citizens when you speak. Rights and freedoms that vulnerable communities have been rarely afforded throughout our nation’s history. What I cannot ignore as a racialized Canadian is the inlaid entitlement to maintain the most minimal effort to respect one another.

Don’t mistake respecting the rights and freedoms of the less privileged with censorship. You are still free to disrespect others. Just be prepared to be challenged when you do so.

I’m disappointed in the selective outrage the author expresses.

Especially as a writer, one has to recognize the power of words. For example, how the word holocaust has been irrevocably inscribed with the traumas of WWII; slavery’s history also reverberates to this day. When someone complains about political correctness, I hear someone complaining about respecting someone else’s humanity. Dismissing inequalities hinders progress.

Progress as universities doesn’t depend on privilege sanctioned “serious issues.” Nor does it entail telling already vulnerable minorities to get over it and report it to ineffective and underfunded organizations on campuses whose experiences are not built to comfort the marginalized.

-Amal Matan, MPI and political science II