Drishti Headshot.jpg

I was hungry. And the Gazette wet my palette. 

It is an experience for me in university that I will talk about it for years to come. 

Coming from a sheltered and homogenous high school, in this newsroom I was exposed to unique perspectives of those from vastly different backgrounds and I loved it, it felt like I belonged.

As a volunteer, I was first drawn to the people in the newsroom, but I soon came to see writing as an escape for me. I was learning so much from the editors and the editor-in-chief that I knew I had to apply to be a news editor: I was addicted. This was in my second year.

Having been chosen for the news editor position in my third year, I can say with confidence it was a year full of growth and unexpected challenges but most importantly, I realized I was capable of so much.

There were times I would go home from the office at 10 p.m. after having a full day of class and have a quick stress-induced cry, then proceed to get it together to start and finish a lab report due the next day and do it all over again.

So, despite barely having any time to breathe, I wouldn’t exchange this experience for anything — it was all worth it.

For many of us, the people in the newsroom were the first people you see when you get on campus and the last people when you finally go home at night. It’s safe to say that being around these people for that long, they have become very close friends to me. 

I look upon my last two years at this student newspaper fondly. I truly had no idea what I was getting into and it turned out to be unimaginable in every way, from the people to the conversations had to the amount of pizza eaten.

The Gazette defined my university experience and I urge those reading to find something you love in university and to do it wholeheartedly. Your student experience is what you make of it.