New Gap Year Program 1

A group of students walk by the Weldon Library, Sept. 18, 2017.

When tragedy affects our campus, we mourn, we come together as a community and we support each other.

Our campus is stronger together, but we can always do more to share the lessons that come out of tragedy. Mental health and illness have affected the vast majority of students on campus, and it is time that we start recognizing the ways we can make a difference in each other’s lives.

Recent tragedies on campus have taught us the importance of starting meaningful conversations with friends and roommates about our mental well-being. We do not have to pretend that starting these conversations is easy, but we do need to stop ignoring warning signs and start sharing our feelings with others. We need to become more educated on how mental illness can affect our friends and start asking a more meaningful, “how are you?” after a long day of studying. We need to tell our friends that we are there for them through the fun and difficult times and remind them of that regularly.

Every one of us can take it upon ourselves to learn more about Western’s resources, programs being offered by local organizations and ways to get involved. As a supportive community, we have the power to take these important lessons from tragedies and to create real change. 

Every Western student, in every year of study, in every faculty has the power to change a life by starting one meaningful conversation.

Learn more about what the Canadian Mental Health Association does and the opportunities they offer in London.

Explore this guide to learn more about resources Western offers.

Call this number or visit this website if you need to talk right now or call 1-866-925-5454.

Visit this website to learn more about youth mental health in Canada right now and tips on having this meaningful conversation.

— Scott Wilson, third-year Faculty of Social Science student and Western University Students' Council advocacy coordinator 

3
0
0
0
0