On Nov. 11, Western University played host to the annual Western Open Fencing Tournament, and Gazette photographer Max Mao was there to capture some of the action. Over 200 fencers from seven universities and 22 clubs gathered in Thames Hall, all vying to improve their national rankings.

The Western Mustangs posted solid performances. In the Women's Sabre event, Kayla Lambie, Kathryn Orydzuk and Victoria Edwards claimed first, second and third respectively.

On the men's side, Joe Wright finished second in the Men's Épée event and Graham Shaw finished third in the Men's Foil event.

+9 
Fencing 1

Mustangs sabre fencer Emiley Watson (right) fends off an attack. In the sabre event, competitors score points by slashing the upper half of the body with any part of the blade.

+9 
Fencing 2

Mustang Kathryn Orydzuk (left) celebrates after scoring a point. She won silver in the women's sabre competition.

+9 
Fencing 8

Austin Tam of Western University was among the 211 fencers competing on Saturday. Points earned in the Western Open count towards national rankings, so a lot of the top fencers in Ontario were present.

+9 
Fencing 6

Two épéeists fight for a point. In the épée event, the opponent's whole body is a target; all you need to do is make contact with the tip of your sword.

+9 
Fencing 7

When the button at the end of the épée hits the target, a light goes off on the scoring machine.

+9 
Fencing 4

Two foilists duke it out. The lightest and most technical of the three fencing events, foil fencers attack with the tip of the sword, trying to hit their opponent's conductive vest on the torso. 

+9 
Fencing 10

A heated women's foil bout.

+9 
Fencing 3

In all three fencing events, épée, foil and sabre, fencers are attached via a body cord to a reel of wire that is part of a system that electrically detects when the weapon has touched the opponent.

+9 
Fencing 11

The blades used in the foil event have a button on the tip, which completes a circuit and sets off the scoring light when it touches the conductive vest.

+9 
Fencing 9

Mustangs foil fencer Graham Shaw (left) with his bronze medal.

6
0
0
0
6

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.

Photo Editor