Women's volleyball #2

Kelsey Veltman (14) hammers the ball over the net against the Nipissing Lakers on Feb.7 at Alumni Hall. In today's playoff game at Alumni Hall against the Guelph Gryphons, the Mustangs won in four sets and Veltman scored 22.5 points. 

The Western Mustangs women's volleyball team defeated the Guelph Gryphons in four sets in the Ontario University Athletics quarter-final on Saturday at Alumni Hall. 

Recap

The Mustangs started off the game with a dominant first set. They got out to an early 12-2 lead in the set and maintained that lead to easily take the first set by a score of 25-14.

In the second set the Gryphons scored eight straight points in the middle of the set to take a 18-10 lead. The Gryphons held on to this lead for the rest of the set to win 25-15.

After losing the second set, the Mustangs came back with a vengeance and handily closed out the game in four sets. They took the last two sets by scores of 25-18 and 25-17 respectively. 

Throughout the match, the Mustangs were led offensively by the usual suspects. Kelsey Veltman and Aja Gyimah scored 22.5 and 16.5 points respectively. Veltman's 22.5 points came from 15 kills, three service aces, one solo block and seven assisted blocks. Gyimah's points came from 13 kills, one service ace and five assisted blocks. 

Gazette Player of the Game

Kelsey Veltman: Western's offensive star helped the team start the playoffs on a strong note with her great play throughout the game.

Up Next

Next weekend the Mustangs travel to Toronto for the OUA final four. They will play the Ryerson Rams in the semifinal on Friday.

If they win against the Rams, they will compete for the OUA title on Saturday against either the Toronto Varsity Blues or the McMaster Marauders. 

0
0
0
0
0

Shane is a fourth year History student at Western. It is his first year as a sports editor for the Gazette. He is also a member of the cross country and track and field teams at Western.