The Western Mustangs dominated the Ottawa Gee-Gees today, capping off an undefeated regular season with a 63–10 victory at the Homecoming football game. 

A crowd of 5,223 fans showed up to cheer the Mustangs on at TD Stadium for the Saturday afternoon game. The Mustangs scored on their second drive of the game, as quarterback Chris Merchant found receiver Harry McMaster for a 15-yard touchdown pass to put Western up 7–0.

The Gee-Gees answered quickly, as Jaime Harry intercepted a Chris Merchant pass and ran it back 60 yards for the touchdown, tying the game up at 7.

A rouge point for the Mustangs put them up 8–7 at the end of the first quarter.

The second quarter, however, was all Mustangs. Merchant threw his second touchdown pass of the day, again to McMaster, this time on a 26-yard throw as the Mustangs took a 15–7 lead.

Another rouge point added to that lead as Western went up 16–7. 

Marc Liegghio hit a field goal to put the Mustangs up 19–7, hitting his 19th straight field goal on the season.

Merchant injured his non-throwing wrist in the second quarter, forcing him out of the game for a drive as Stevenson Bone came in to lead the Mustangs down the field. Bone hit Antonio Valvano with a 5-yard touchdown pass to take a 26–7 lead. Another Liegghio field goal added three points to the lead to make it 29–7.

The running backs got in on the action as well, as Cedric Joseph scored his first touchdown of the game on a 26-yard run, to extend the Mustangs lead to 36–7.

Merchant returned to the game in the second half after Bone broke his arm, presumably ending the fifth-year's college football career. Merchant quickly got back into the game and found McMaster for a 37-yard touchdown, putting the Mustangs up 43–7.

Joseph added his second rushing touchdown of the afternoon, pounding an 8-yard run in as the Mustangs went up 50–7. The Mustangs running game dominated all day as the offensive line had their way with the Gee-Gees defensive line.

Liegghio hit his 21st straight field goal of the year, nailing a 22-yard field goal to pour even more salt on the wound as the Mustangs extended their lead to 53–7. Liegghio then hit his 22nd straight near the end of the third quarter to make the score 56–7.

The Mustangs put third-string quarterback Kevin John in, as well as second and third-string guys at multiple other positions. It didn't stunt the Mustangs, however, as they dominated the Gee-Gees defense in the second half.

The final score of the game was 63–10, as the Mustangs improved to 8–0 on the season with the win, while the Gee-Gees fell to 5–3.

Merchant threw for 168 yards and three touchdowns. Trey Humes ran for 138 yards, and Joseph added 137 yards and two touchdowns. McMaster led all receivers with 101 yards.

The Mustangs will not take the field until the Ontario University Athletics semifinals, which are set for Nov. 4.

0
0
0
0
0

Mike is a sports editor for Volume 111 of the Gazette. He is currently a fourth year history major. Contact Mike at mike@westerngazette.ca.