The Western Mustangs women's volleyball team defeated the McMaster Marauders on Saturday night in a five set thriller (25-16, 18-25, 21-25, 25-22,15-13) at the Goldring Centre in Toronto to win the Ontario University Athletics bronze medal.

+4 
Girls Volleyball4

Mustang Taylor Beedie swats at the ball in the OUA bronze medal game against the McMaster Marauders on Mar.5 in Toronto. The Mustangs won the game in five sets. 

Recap

The Mustangs started out on the right foot and quickly took down the Marauders in the first 25-16. Offensive stars Aja Gyimah and Kelsey Veltman led the Mustangs in this set. 

In the next two sets the momentum shifted back to Marauders and they were able to take both sets by scores of 25-18 and 25-21 respectively. 

+4 
Girls Volleyball3

Mustang Aja Gyimah (18) whacks the ball in the OUA bronze medal game against the McMaster Marauders. Gyimah finished with 21 kills in the game to help the Mustangs win in a five set thriller. 

In the fourth set a late surge by the Mustangs led by the strong offensive play of fifth-year senior Serena Smith led the Mustangs to a tight 25-22 set victory. 

In the fifth set the Mustangs got off to a slow start but found some momentum in the second half of the set to take a tightly fought set by a score of 15-13. 

Gazette Player of the Game 

Aja Gyimah had a great game for the Mustangs from start to finish. The Marauders were unable to slow her down offensively all game. She record 21 kills on the night. 

Up Next

This was the last game of the season for the Mustangs. They closed out the year by winning the OUA bronze medal for the second year in a row.

0
0
0
0
0

Shane is a fourth year History student at Western. It is his first year as a sports editor for the Gazette. He is also a member of the cross country and track and field teams at Western.