Mustangs vs McMaster (Photo 3)

Team cheer came by horseback versus the Marauders, Sept. 8, 2018.

The Western Mustangs dominated the York Lions by a score of 76–3 on Saturday afternoon at TD Stadium.

Western elected to receive off the opening coin toss and set the tone early. Just three minutes into the game, Chris Merchant found receiver Harry McMaster in the corner of the end zone to put his team up 7-0.

The Mustangs defense flexed their muscles on the Lions first drive of the game. Faced with a third down and inches opportunity, York shifted into a wildcat formation and tried to smash through the middle on a sneak play.

The Mustangs bottled up the trick play, stopping the runner at the line of scrimmage. Third and short opportunities continue to haunt the Lions. The failed conversion lowered their success rate to 40 per cent on the season.

Cedric Joseph, the star of last week’s win over the McMaster Marauders, added his fourth touchdown of the year on the ensuing drive. Just six minutes into the game, Western led York by a score of 14-0.

The Lions started to create some chemistry and rhythm on offense by the end of the first quarter. However, the Mustangs killed this rhythm with a sack to open the second quarter. York settled for a 44-yard field goal to close the lead to 14-3.

Mark Liegghio matched the Lions deep field goal with a 42-yard field goal of his own to put the Mustangs in front 17-3 with 10 minutes left in the half.

The Mustangs ran away with the game after York’s star quarterback, Brett Hunchak, went down with an injury at the start of the second quarter.

Cedric Joseph scored a 57-yard rushing touchdown, Alex Taylor picked up a short rushing touchdown and a 55-yard receiving score and Dejuan Martin added another major through the air.

Even special teams got into the action, adding a point after tackling the Lions punt returner in the end zone.

The Mustangs domination did not stop after the first half. To open the second half, Lions backup quarterback Noah Craney threw an interception to Bleska Kambamba. The defensive back returned the pick for a touchdown, putting Western in front 53-3.

With second-string players playing the final 30 minutes, Western closed out the game with a few more field goals from Mark Liegghio, a rushing touchdown from back-up quarterback Kevin John, a few rouges, a safety and a rushing score from third year running back Trey Humes.

Chris Merchant finished two quarters of play with 270 passing yards and three touchdowns. Dejuan Martin picked up a touchdown and 77 yards receiving. As well, McMaster added a receiving touchdown of his own, while tacking on 71 yards receiving.

Cedric Joseph followed up his three touchdown performance with two more scores and 122 yards on the ground—averaging 17.5 yards per carry. As well, Alex Taylor added 84 yards on the ground, 55 through the air, and two touchdowns.

With the win the Mustangs improve to 3–0, remaining the only undefeated team in Ontario University Athletics football.

Correction: An earlier version of this story stated the score as 77–3 due to a scorekeeping incorrection at TD Stadium. We have since corrected the mistake.

1
0
0
0
0