Football vs york - Malik Besseghieur

Mustangs receiver Malik Besseghieur runs the ball, Aug. 27, 2017.

The men's and women's soccer teams and the football team were in action this weekend, kicking off their regular seasons against the York Lions.

Women's soccer (1-1-0)

The women's soccer team took their first game of the season by a score of 1–0, overcoming the York Lions in the 81st minute with the lone goal being scored by first-year midfielder Giulia Geraci.

"It was a great goal by Giulia, great to see a first-year player score that goal," said Mustangs head coach Martin Painter in a press release. "For the most part we defended well, but I think second half York was the better team. We were happy with enough things [we did], but we have lots to work on. It's early days, but we'll take the three points."

The women's squad was back on the pitch on Sunday to host the Guelph Gryphons for their second game of the season.

The Mustangs controlled the play for the first half, outshooting the Gryphons 7–1, but they ultimately fell short, losing the game 0–1.

"I was happy with the way our team completed physically. Especially for us being such a young team," said Painter in a press release. "I was really happy with our performance. Unfortunately we didn't get the results that we wanted."

The women's squad returns to the pitch on Saturday, September 2, to take on the McMaster Marauders. Kick-off is set for 1 p.m. at Mustangs Field.

Men's soccer (1-0-1)

The men's soccer team also kicked off their season this weekend, topping York 1-0 in their season opener at Mustangs Field on Friday. The winning goal was scored by second year striker Reza Nafar partway through the second half.

"For me the first game of the season is always very important, and today we played against one of the best teams, in my opinion," said Nafar. "To get the win against them it's amazing."

Friday's victory marks the team's first win over the Lions since 2010.

The men were back at it again on Saturday, this time to host the Guelph Gryphons in a game that ended with a 2–2 draw.

Scorers for the Mustangs include Christian Devia, who scored his first goal of the season, and Nafar, who scored his second in as many games.

"It was a good game throughout the whole game," said Devia. "We thought we had it in the last twenty minutes but [the Gryphons second goal] was unlucky. I think it was a good game. Overall, we battled hard."

The men's team is back in action on Saturday, September 2 when they'll take on the McMaster Marauders. Gametime is 3:15 p.m. at Mustangs Field.

Football (1-0)

The Mustangs football team seems to have put last year's disheartening Yate's Cup defeat behind them and are focused on the season at hand. The boys showed up to play this weekend and came out on top, winning 66–3 over the York Lions.

The win came as a result of team effort. Quarterbacks Chris Merchant and Stevenson Bone threw for a combined 372 yards and Malik Besseghieur led the receiving corps with 179 yards on six catches, including his first ever OUA touchdown on a 75-yard catch and run from Bone.

Overall, Mustangs head coach Greg Marshall says he was pleased with his team.

"We're quick on defence, we're not big, so we're going to have to execute all the time. We're going to have to be more consistent on offence than we were today," said Marshall. "A lot of the time we just didn't have any rhythm. We got big plays, but we didn't have an rhythm. [There were] little consistency issues, but other than that I'm happy with the way the guys played today."

The Mustangs next game will be their home opener on Monday, Sept. 4 against Guelph. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at TD Stadium.

0
0
0
0
0

Managing Editor of Design

Jordan is the Managing Editor of Design for Volume 111. He was a graphics editor for Volumes 109-110 and is a recent graduate of Western's now defunct MTP program.