After a shaky start, the Western Mustangs women's volleyball team took down the Nipissing Lakers in straight sets (28-26, 25-15, 25-22) on Sunday afternoon in Alumni Hall. 

Western now sits in sole possession of first place in the OUA west division with an impressive 14–2 record.

Recap

The Mustangs came into Senior Day on Sunday as a heavy favourite. They were riding a nine-game winning streak and were facing a Lakers team that had only won two games all year.

Western looked too relaxed in the first set and they struggled to close out the Lakers due to a large number of unforced errors. However, they were able to sneak away with a close 28–26 first set victory. 

In the second set, the Mustangs jumped back into form and dominated the entire set. They were led by their star player Kelsey Veltman, who threw down punishing spikes throughout the set that sent shivers down the spines of the Lakers players. Veltman finished the match with 13 kills, the most of any player on either side.

The final set was close once again, as Western struggled with unforced errors, however, they were able to finish off the Lakers 25–22 to close out the match.

Gazette Player of the Game

Serena Smith: The fifth-year senior had 10 kills in the match and was able to close out her last regular season home game at Alumni Hall with a victory. 

Up Next

The Mustangs hope to extend their winning streak to 11 games next weekend against the Brock Badgers in St. Catharine's on Feb. 14 at 2 p.m.