soccer

The Western Mustangs women’s soccer team took on the Waterloo Warriors on Sunday at Mustangs Field, tying the game 0–0 to remain undefeated on the season.

Both the Mustangs and Warriors put up solid defensive performances during the first half, leaving both teams struggling to take scoring attempts on net. However, the two teams showed discipline and patience throughout the scoreless first half.

“Defensively, we were very strong and regained possession immediately when it was lost,” said second-year striker Madison Johnston. “On offence, we could have improved our attack and finished more opportunities.”

In the second half, Western’s offence worked toward two scoring opportunities, but they came up short. Fifth-year striker Julia Crnjac and second-year midfielder Giulia Geraci had close calls but were unable to finish, leaving the game scoreless going into its waning moments.

The energy picked up as the game came to a close, with both teams fighting to break the scoreless deadlock. It was a high-intensity matchup between offence and defence, as the Mustangs offensive pressure was evenly matched by Waterloo’s defensive efforts. Despite the disappointment at failing to record a win in the match, the Mustangs were able to gain a point on the afternoon and avoid their first loss of the year.

Currently in fourth place in the Ontario University Athletics West Division, the Mustangs hope to move up the standings in the coming weeks. The Mustangs maintain their spot at third in the OUA West with the draw. Though it's still early in the campaign, Western is hungry to come out on top in the West after a 2017 campaign that saw the program go 14–1–1 during the OUA regular season. Despite the youth of their retooled roster, the program hopes to maintain their spot amongst the province's top teams.  

“We have a very young team that proved to have a lot of success last year, so we’re hoping to finish top of the OUA this year as well,” said Johnston, confident with the team dynamic.

With the tie, the Mustangs move to 2–0–3 on the season.

The Mustangs will be back on the road Sept. 15 where they will once again face off against Waterloo at 1 p.m.

0
0
0
0
0