Mustangs Serena Smith (12), Danielle Grassman (16) and Aja Gyimah (18) celebrate a point during OUA women's volleyball action at Alumni Hall on Saturday afternoon. Western defeated Waterloo in straight sets.

The Western Mustangs women’s volleyball team made easy work of the Waterloo Warriors on Saturday afternoon, winning in straight sets (25–21, 25–18, 25–21). They improve to 8–2 on the season, just one game back of the top-seeded McMaster Marauders (9–1).

The Mustangs came back from winter break with a fairly slow start, exchanging points with the Warriors for much of the first set. This didn’t last long though, as Western began to pick up their game throughout the first set.

Western entered the second set coming off a 25–21 win in the first. They continued their momentum with an aggressive offensive attack led by Kelsey Veltman and Aja Gyimah, who finished with eight and 12 kills respectively on the afternoon.

Mustang right side Aja Gyimah goes up for a spike during OUA women's volleyball action on Saturday afternoon at Alumni Hall. Western defeated Waterloo in straight sets.

Western would take the second set more easily, at 25–18. Their solid overall gameplay allowed them to take down Waterloo 25–21 in the third set, despite a valiant effort by the Warriors.

Team stats by the end of the game spoke for themselves: Western recorded 44 kills to Waterloo's 25.

Offence wasn’t the only area Western excelled in on Saturday, as they put up 13 team blocks throughout the match.

Gazette player of the game

Aja Gyimah: Western’s right side hitter was a force on the court, whether she was blocking at the net or administering one of her 12 kills. She also recorded six digs.

Up next

The Mustangs will travel to Lakehead next weekend, playing back-to-back games against the Thunderwolves on Friday, Jan. 22 and Saturday, Jan. 23. Game time is set for 7 p.m. both nights in Thunder Bay.