On Jan. 18 Ontario University Athletics (OUA) announced the football schedule for the 2017 season. The quest for the 110th Yates Cup will kick off on Saturday, Aug. 26 as the Carleton Ravens travel to Kingston to take on the Queen's Golden Gaels.

The Mustangs open their season on Sunday, Aug. 27 against the York Lions in the first matchup between the two programs since 2015. The last meeting between Western and York ended with the Mustangs taking home the 74–10 win. 

On Labour Day weekend, the Guelph Gryphons come to London to add another chapter to one of the OUA's greatest rivalries. Last season the Mustangs beat the Gryphons for the first time since 2011 with a 50–16.

Week three will be another staunch test as the Mustangs travel to Hamilton in search of their third straight win over the McMaster Marauders.

Then the Mustangs drive down the 401 to face off with the Windsor Lancers before taking on the Queen's Golden Gaels on Sep. 23 in one of the nation's great rivalry games.

The Mustangs have won four straight over the Gaels, including a 27–13 victory last year in the first game at the newly renovated Richardson Stadium.

The calendar will be circled on Sept. 30 for what will be a highly anticipated matchup with the Laurier Golden Hawks. In a rematch of the epic 2016 Yates Cup Game, the Mustangs will look to avenge their unprecedented collapse on home turf that led to their 43–40 defeat.

On Thanksgiving weekend the Mustangs will have a Friday contest with the Carleton Ravens. The Ravens upset Western in the regular season 38–31. However, the Mustangs had the final laugh as they blew out Carleton 51–24 in the OUA semifinals.

The regular season will conclude on Oct. 21 as the Ottawa GeeGees come to London for the Homecoming game. 

The OUA quarterfinals are scheduled for Saturday, Oct. 28 followed by the semifinals on Saturday, Nov. 4. The OUA calendar will conclude on Saturday, Nov. 11 with the 110th Yates Cup.

0
0
0
0
0