The Western Mustangs football team improves to 7–0 on the season, beating the Carleton Ravens during last night's game. 

The Mustangs scored their first touchdown on Friday night less than three minutes into their date with the Ravens.

Cedric Joseph found the end zone on a three-yard run and the Mustangs went up 7–0 early.

Then, on the next drive, Mustangs quarterback Chris Merchant found receiver Harry McMaster with a 47-yard pass and the Mustangs took the 14–0 lead.

That was how Friday evening went. The Mustangs scored when they wanted to, as only the second ranked team in the nation could do. 

Joseph scored his second rushing touchdown to open the second quarter, pushing a short 2-yard run. 

Later in the second frame, Merchant avoided two would-be sackers before hitting McMaster with a 37-yard pass. The drive ended with Merchant finding running back Alex Taylor in the endzone with a 10-yard pass to extend the Western lead to 28–0.

The Ravens finally found the scoreboard with 3:49 left in the first half, as Ravens quarterback Michael Arruda found receiver Kyle VanWynsberghe on the third down to cut the Mustangs lead to 29–7.

Mustangs kicker Marc Liegghio capped off the first half with a 46-yard field goal as Western took a 32–7 lead into halftime.

The second half kicked off with both teams exchanging scoreless drives before Liegghio scored a 35-yard field goal to extend the Mustangs lead to 35–7.

In the third quarter the Mustangs special teams joined the action, as Fraser Sopik blocked a Carleton punt deep in the Ravens territory before grabbing it past the line of scrimmage. The Mustangs took possession of the ball at the 32-yard line.

On the ensuing drive, after a Ravens unnecessary roughing penalty brought the Mustangs to the one yard line, Alex Taylor ran the ball into the end zone to put the Mustangs up 42–7 with two minutes left in the third quarter.

An interesting stat to note out of third quarter was that the Mustangs continued an incredible streak of zero third quarter points allowed for the seventh straight game.

At the start of the fourth quarter, Liegghio hit his sixteenth consecutive field goal, nailing a 22-yard chip shot as the Mustangs went up 45–7.

Liegghio extended his streak to 17 consecutive field goals later in the fourth quarter to tack on three points to the 48–7 lead. That wasn't the last we would see from Liegghio though. With three minutes left in the game, Liegghio added his eighteenth straight field goal, and fifth of the game, to put the Mustangs up 51–7.

The Ravens would add a touchdown in the dying moments of the game, making the final score 51–14.

Merchant threw for 300 yards on 20–34 passing with two touchdowns, while Taylor ran for 142 yards and Joseph ran for 81 yards. McMaster led all receivers with 114 yards.

The Mustangs accumulated 699 yards of total offense, while limiting the Ravens to 358 offensive yards. 

With the win, the Mustangs improve to 7–0 on the season. The team will have a bye this week before facing off against the Ottawa Gee-Gees on Oct. 21 for Homecoming.