Gosling photo

Katelyn Gosling, one of five Western athletes attending the Universiade, played for five years as a goalie for the women's hockey team at Western, and now plays for the Calgary Inferno team of the CWHL.

Canada got on the podium for the first time at the 28th Winter Universiade in Kazakhstan, as women’s hockey claimed silver this Monday. The squad, captained by Mustangs Alumni Katelyn Gosling, dropped a 4–1 decision against the Russians in the gold medal game, for their second silver in as many Universiades.

The only goal for the Canadians came from Kelty Aperson of St. Thomas University mid-way through the second frame, but the Russian offense overpowered the weaker Canadian team. Seven members of the Russian Olympic team were on their Universiade roster, including Alexandra Vafina of the University of Calgary. 

Special teams played a part in the Canadian loss, as they went 0-for-14 on the power play, while the Russians capitalized on two of their six power plays.

Team Canada was outshot 36–24 by the Russian squad, who took gold against the Canadians at the last Universiade as well. Gosling was one of the two players who were on the team two years ago the last time they faced off against the Russians.

Gosling had five points in five games with the Canadians, with four assists and one goal. Brianna Iazzolino had seven points in as many games, with five assists and two goals. Neither had points in the gold medal game.

Gosling will be returning to the Calgary Inferno of the Canadian Women's Hockey League and will be taking part in the leagues all-star game in Toronto this coming weekend. Iazzolino will be returning to the Mustangs roster this weekend, alongside Team Canada assistant coach and Mustangs head coach Kelly Paton, where they will hope to continue on with their success into the Ontario University Athletics playoffs.

0
0
0
0
0

Claire is a fourth year Media, Information and Technoculture student. She is a second year sports editor at the Gazette. Have a question? Email her at claire.palmer@westerngazette.ca