Two key players on Western's women's hockey team, Katelyn Gosling and Brianna Iazzolino, have been invited to participate in the Hockey Canada Women's National Development Camp in Calgary from August 5-14.

The camp will serve as an opportunity for the two players to earn their place on the roster for the 2017 Winter Universiade – an international competition of university-aged athletes, as well as the opportunity to earn their spot on a Canadian team playing exhibition games against the United States in August. 

"Both of the girls are really looking forward to it ... for [Brianna] going into her fifth year here, this is a really great way to start and she's really looking forward to the opportunity," said Kelly Paton, the head coach for women's hockey. 

The players have been an instrumental part of the Mustangs hockey program over the last couple of seasons. Over her five years with the team, Gosling has over 80 regular season points (20G/61A) as well as 25 post season points and has been named an OUA All-Star and CIS all-Canadian three times.

She has also been named to the Canadian National Development team and has competed for Canada in the 2016 Nations Cup as well as the 2013 and 2015 Universiade. 

Iazzolino is no less of a force on the ice — in her 93 games with the Mustangs she has amassed 42 points.

Also at the camp will be Kelly Paton, the head coach of the women's hockey program at Western, who will be serving as an assistant coach for the camp. The coaching staff has been handpicked from teams across the country with other members of the coaching staff including from Guelph and Waterloo universities.

"I'm really looking forward to working with my peers from across the OUA," Paton said.

"[This] is the first year of for us to team up with the national program to give the girls an opportunity to compete against the national development team which is big."