+1 
Sept 16 Womens Soccer - Liam McInnis-2.jpg

Midfielder Kendra Marlatt chases down the ball with pressure from Waterloo's Gabriella Zepeda-Ayala.

Eleven Mustangs teams were in action this weekend, playing a total 30 games over the course of three days.

Women's Rugby 

The Mustangs were dealt a tough 31–10 loss at the hands of McMaster University in their home opener this Friday. The team is now 0–2 on the season and will continue to face tough competition as they head off to Guelph this Saturday to play the defending OUA champions.

Men's Rugby 

The men's rugby team earned their second win of the season, defeating the University of Waterloo 29–8 at home this Friday. The Mustangs are now 2–1 on the season and have won two consecutive games. 

Football 

The Mustangs football team has extended their winning streak to four games this weekend, trouncing the University of Windsor 59–7. The undefeated Mustangs are poised to finish at the top of the OUA once again and are looking to keep the momentum rolling into this weekend's home game against the visiting Queen's University.

Women's Soccer

Women's soccer kept their early season winning streak alive, defeating both the University of Waterloo and Wilfrid Laurier University 1–0. The Mustangs are now on a five-game win streak and are 6–1 on the season, which is good enough for first in the Western Conference of the OUA, and second overall. 

+1 
Sept 16 Mens Soccer - Liam McInnis.jpg

Christian Devia works his way past Waterloo's Shudarroan Uthayakumar.

Men's Soccer 

The Men's soccer team continued their impressive undefeated streak this weekend, going 1-0-1 in their games. After tying the Waterloo Warriors 0–0, the Mustangs thrashed the Laurier Golden Hawks 3–0, and are now 5-0-2 on the season, making them second in the West. 

Baseball

The baseball team won 3–1 this weekend, cleaning up their double header against the McMaster Marauders and going 1–1 in their home double header against the University of Toronto. The defeat was only the team's second loss of the season, and they are currently sitting in first place in the OUA, two points ahead of their rivals, the Brock Badgers.

Softball

The Mustangs had a clean sweep this weekend, going 6–0 through three days of play, improving to 10–0 on the season. The team posted five shutouts and outscored their opponents 54–4. The team is at the midway point of their season, and it hopes to continue their dominance into their provincial and national tournaments next month.

Field Hockey 

Field hockey split their weekend games 1–1, claiming a 2–1 victory over McGill University, rebounding from a tough 5–0 loss in their season-opener against York University the day before. The team will be looking to improve on their bronze medal finish at last year's OUAs, and avoid sliding back into a losing record. 

Women's Lacrosse 

The women's lacrosse team split their weekend games 1–1, dropping a one-goal nail-biter to the Laurier Golden Hawks 10–9 before going on to beat the University of Guelph 10–3. The loss was their first of the season, with the team now sitting on a 3–1 record.

Men's Lacrosse  

The men's lacrosse team continued with their undefeated season, steamrolling Laurentian University 20–3 on Saturday night, before defeating the Laurier Golden Hawks 16–2 on Sunday. The team's looking to continue the momentum into this weekend when they'll face the Toronto Varsity Blues as well their Western Conference rivals, the Brock Badgers.

0
0
0
0
0

Claire is a fourth year Media, Information and Technoculture student. She is a second year sports editor at the Gazette. Have a question? Email her at claire.palmer@westerngazette.ca